Ok... I can't catch ANYTHING

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I can't even give worms away! I've been fishing Alum Creek Lake and the Scioto River in Central Ohio, attempting to get ahold of some Channel Cat.<br /><br />I've tried laying a hook on bottom with nightcrawlers or chicken livers. I've even tried some dough baits. I'm fishing on top of an old road bed where it meets the original creek bed. It's about 35 feet of water.<br /><br />I've even got so desperate, I tried dropping an Erie Dearie down to see if I could pi$$ them off (hey, it works for walleye, right?).<br /><br />Any experienced catfishermen want to give me some tips? I think I'm cursed!<br /><br />I feel like I'm fishing for the elusive muskie...

jeff13601

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ok... I can't catch ANYTHING

You might try shallower water at dusk. Good luck

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Our water temp right now is 63... and we did have a huge front come through which was a problem yesterday.<br /><br />I'll try some shad after work later this week, and move to a little shallower spot. <br /><br />Is just a hook and sinker sufficient? Or is there something better?

NathanY

Commander

What is your water temp there? Catfish down here start spawning when water temp reaches 70°. Didnt you just have a huge front move through that area? Try cut bait(shad) in shallow-er water (15-20ft). They will smell it from very far away.

bubbakat

Captain

Get you some shrimp and soak them in vinella extract and brown sugar and they will jump in the boat for you.<br />I use a good size blood hook for this.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by bubbakat:<br /> Get you some shrimp and soak them in vinella extract and brown sugar and they will jump in the boat for you.<br />I use a good size blood hook for this.
I gotta try the vanilla extract and brown sugar.<br />I just use hook, weight and shrimp and let her go. Next thing you you I'm reelin em in.<br /><br />Good luck. <br /><br />If you try bubbakats way let me know how it works.<br />BPG

heyttown

Chief Petty Officer

Sorry shrimp are to good for me to waste on catching some cats........I would be eatin the bait....lol

TELMANMN

Chief Petty Officer

Fish for whatever bites as will then probobly catch one.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

Hee haaa- Don't you know that "Ohio" is an old Indian word for "No Fish Here"???<br /><br /> I feel for you- Ohio fishing can be really tough- we live in a veritable fish desert here!!! <br /><br /> If you want to catch cats is a lake, the above advice should work- shrimp, (raw, shell on) works well for channels, liver, cut shad, etc. The great thing about a lake is that you can chum a hole. Stuff some dog food or the like in a burlap bag and weight it down and then sink it where you plan to fish. Or toss in a couple cans of tuna catfood and let it sit for a day before fishing the area. It works great down in the SW area of Ohio. <br /><br /> You're not close enough to fish the Ohio River- that's where the fish are. LOL<br /><br />UFM82

KCLOST

Commander

Limb line with goldfish on trees on the flats near the channel... You will know if they are there the next morning.

keelhauled

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ohio River, eh? I bet they're all on the Kentucky side!<br /><br />I have pretty good luck walleye and perch fising on Lake Erie... can't catch a danged thing on an inland lake though.

Tivoruss

Cadet

The bait you want to use for channel cat is called "Uncal Sonny's super sticky catfish bait".<br />It is a stink bait and it works wonderful. Also try to fish shallower.<br /><br />Good luck!!!!!!

FLATHEAD

Commander

I don't think your problem is the bait.It sounds like your going to the same spot all the time. Try to change it up a bit, like the others said try shallow. If that don't work try something else. Keep trying different stuff at different places till some sort of pattern emerges, than you'll have it licked. Time on the water and confidence in yourself are the key.<br /><br />Tightlines Flathead

brownies

Chief Petty Officer

Catfishing for the beginner:<br />Find the people. They are above the water, on the bank, easy to spot.<br />20 people, 60 poles, 10 lawn chairs, 10 buckets.<br />That's not so much overfished as it is "there must be fish".<br />Just drive around until you find folks lining a bank somewhere. Always best just to start up a conversation, or, if all else fails just "accidentally" cast over a line and reel back in. Once you see the bait and the set-up, well, DON'T DO IT AGAIN...LOL.<br />(Down in this area, that wouldn't be needed. Most folks would probably loan ya everything you needed)<br /> Cept the buckit weuz sittin on.

sergioy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah, what flathead said. Since you have a boat, you can move around quite a bit. don't fish in one spot for too long (if nothing bite, just leave). If you get around a croud of people watch to see if they are catching anything. I have been to alot of spots where people fish all day and not catch anything. And lastly, when you see someone who is catching fish look and see how they are rigging their poles, what bait they use... Most people are more than happy to share any information with you.