oil ?

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class
98 3.0 mercruiser
ok i changed my oil with 25w40 becouse that is what bayliner says on its web site so everything was going good until i got the eng about 180deg then i heard a ticking,sounded a little like a loose rocker so i went home and pulled the valve cover and it all looks good but with eng started im getting little oil you bearly see it coming out off rocker but im reading proper pressure any suggestions shouldnt the oil squirt out the rockers

D

DJ

Re: oil ?

180 is a little warm but not too bad.

Why are you messing with a 2008 engine. No warranty?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

98 3.0 mercruiser
ok i changed my oil with 25w40 becouse that is what bayliner says on its web site

You have a Mercruiser engine, why are you going to the bilgeliner website for engine advice?

so everything was going good until i got the eng about 180deg then i heard a ticking,sounded a little like a loose rocker so i went home and pulled the valve cover and it all looks good but with eng started im getting little oil you bearly see it coming out off rocker but im reading proper pressure any suggestions shouldnt the oil squirt out the rockers

If the oil were squirting it would indicate the lifters were faulty... You should be getting just a trickle of oil across the rockers... It's only for lubricating the rocker balls and the top of the valve stem... You DON'T want gallons of oil up there....

Chris..........

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class

you two guys it says a BAYLINER website AND A 98 AS IN 1998 but beer is good on saterday

achris

More fish than mountain goat

you two guys it says a BAYLINER website AND A 98 AS IN 1998 but beer is good on Saturday

I know what you said.... My comment stands... :p

As for DJ, I think he's getting a bit 'farsighted' these days... :D:D:D 98 can look a bit like 08... without the reading glasses on........;)

Chris...
(save a beer for me)

sea wolf

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Make sure you didn't overfill the crankcase. Overfilling can cause your symptoms. Did it make noise before you did the oil change?

chiefalen

Captain

25-40 hmmm thats what they call for that motor? A little thick, no? Just asking?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

25W40 IS what is called for for ALL Mercruiser engines. Go to the bottom of the page in this link.
http://northamerica.mercurymarine.com/serviceandwarranty/mercruiserfaqs/fueloil.php#1124

As SeaWolf stated, overfilling will cause your problem. When overfilled the crankshaft hits the oil and aireates the oil. With air in it, it won't hold the lifters solid. and they tick.
After the engine is shut down, the air goes out of the oil and all is good again, till the oil warms up and gets aireated again.

chiefalen

Captain

There you go don s as usual has the correct info. as to the motor manufacturer recommendations.

brogden31

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yea it has the right amount of oil though i think it might be the rear crank bearing at first i thought it had to be the gimbal bearing so i changed it ,it was bad and eng was a little out of align. but still can here the noise a little from rear it is nothing like before but i havnt hade the boat in the water

chiefalen

Captain

I don't want to jinx you but i would check out the drive gears and bearings. And the u joint.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

are you checking the oil where you probably filled it, which would be at home on your trailer.
You should always check your oil with the boat in the water.