Oil tank reservoir removed...how to check for oil pressure?

bbalcer

Seaman
Previous owner had oil tank removed and just run mixed gas. Motor is a 1996 Mariner 115 and want to determine if oil is getting to upper main bearing. I found 2 sets of lines, one apparently sends fuel from the enrichner valve to the back part of each cylinder (don't quite know why) and the other set seems to be in a closed loop. It is the latter set of hoses I think are the oil lines (black with yellow dotted stripes on the hoses). Does anyone know how to check for oil pressure into the upper main (i'm assuming the hose that is above the top carb going into the block just under the stator is the one I need)? Also, what is the enrichner valve used for? Thanks.

Laddies

Banned
Re: Oil tank reservoir removed...how to check for oil pressure?

It sounds like the line you are talking about is a bleeder line from the botton main brg to the top, that vacumes the excess oil out of the bottom of the engine back to the top to recycle it. There is no pressure oiling on most 2/cycle marine engines--Bob

bbalcer

Seaman

thanks laddies, is there a way to check to ensure oil is getting all the way up there. I would just pull the end next to the nearest "t-fitting" but don't know if the lines must be without air bubbles like brake lines or not. Any ideas on checking that or verifying check valve operation?

LubeDude

Admiral

If you have oil mixed with your gas, then you have oil to every part of your engine that requires it in the powerhead. It gets there from the carbs, through the reeds and is basically "fogged" onto every moving part.

bbalcer

Seaman

will bubbles in the bleed system affect its operation if i disconnect the lines to test the check valves and whether or not the top cylinder is pulling enough vacuum to get the pooled oil up to the top of the motor?

Moody Blue

Captain

Smokerowner why are you concerned with the top end of your motor ? With an oil injected system, oil is mixed with the gas before it enters the carbs. Essentially an oily gas vapour is what is used as both combustible fuel and lubricant at the same time. 2 cycles as mentioned above do not use a pressurized lubrication system. The reason many people disconnect the injection system is that there is no real immediate way of telling if it stops working other than an overheat alarm going off when things start to come apart. If you are mixing the proper amount of oil to the gas then there is nothing to worry about as far as lubrication goes. As for the enricher valve, it essentially operates as a choke. When activated, the valve squirts a small amount of fuel directly into the carb throat thus providing a rich mixture for starting. On merc and mariners this valve is activated by depressing the start switch in the run position.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

The lines are there more as an anti-pollution feature. Rather than spit out unburned fuel, it's directed to the bearings as an added bonus before burning up. They don't need to be there besides that. All bearings from top to bottom get plenty of oil with the fuel as long as you mix it properly. There will always be air in those lines.

bbalcer

Seaman

Oops, forgot to say why I was checking this. After running the motor hard for a while, I hear a squeaking sound coming from the top of the power head. Through elimination (help of this forum and others) I think it may be the upper main bearing. Thus I was investigating the lubrication mechanism (bleed system) hoping the bearings may just not be getting enough lube at high RPMs, vice being worn out and need replacement. I don't believe it is a head gasket that allows a leak when the block heats up since I can look completely around the gasket and not see anywhere that is discolored from blow by or suction. It may also be the lower bearing with the sound travelling through the crank to the top. To do any more investigation, I'd have to pull the powerhead.