Oil pump spring

bucken

Cadet
Need some advice.I have a 1987 90hp yamaha 90etlh.I just replaced the shift rod and impeller.Reading this forum was a great help.(only broke 2 bolts)Also cleaned all water passages.Motor runs great.My problem is that when I throttle down it will sometimes stick at about 1/8 throttle.The cable returns all the way.When I disconect the oil pump linkage it works fine.Seems like the return spring is weak.
Have cleaned and oiled all springs.Is it a hassle to change the spring or should I replace oil pump or disconnect it and mix fuel?
Thanks for any help.

parrfive

Seaman
Re: Oil pump spring

The spring is only designed to put the pump at full oil if the oil arm comes off. It?s not designed to be strong enough return the throttle. Check to see if any hoses are touching the oil arm when it?s trying to return. Check the oil tank supply hose under the oil tank.

bucken

Cadet

Thanks Parrfive. Spring function is obvious now.Funny how you can look at something so long you really don't see it.Removed oil tank and checked again.Linkage not touching anything.But linkage does appear to be out of adjustment per manual.Will recheck and reset.This is my first experience with an outboard and I am learning more than I really wanted.If it blows I guess I'll learn some more things. :)

bucken

Cadet

Adjusted linkage and seems to be working good now.Hope it lasts.
Even a blind squirrel will find a nut now and again.