Oil Problems

Wassachu

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 1990 70HP Johnson I bought new. I've had on/off oil problems since new. After use I would see oil running down the outside of the motor. I've had it serviced several times and even replaced the VRO. Servicing has made it better but hasn't stopped it. Now I have oil outside my motor, flooding my spark plugs and coming out the exhaust. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I may have two problems now. Maybe a leaky hose somewhere but that wouldn't cause more oil in the cylinders. Stumped!

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil Problems

The oil is obviously coming from somewhere and since it's a liquid, it runs downhill. Have you taken the cover off the engine and actually looded for sources of the leak. A bright flashlight will help. Start at the highest spots on the engine and follow down until you see oil. The source is usually the junction where you see oil and where you don't. Obvious spots to check are the oil line where it enters the engine, where it connects to the VRO, and at the outlet of the VRO where it will have mixed with fuel, and between the VRO and the carbs.

angus63

Captain

If you're sucking air somewhere in the fuel circuit prior to the vro, you'll have an over-oiling condition like you mention. Check all fuel lines and connections from tank to vro.

R.Johnson

Rear Admiral

Oil around the spark plugs, are they finger tight, by chance?