oil pressure shows zero

93ultra

Seaman Apprentice
My oil pressure guage just started reading 0 the last time I took the boat out. I checked the oil and mototr and everything was running just fine. How can I test the guage and is their a sending unit to check. The motor is a 454 inboard Mercruiser.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: oil pressure shows zero

Zero oil pressure has nothing to do with the fact that the dip stick shows there is oil in the engine. Obviously if there is no oil there can be no "pressure". But just because the engine has oil in it does not mean there MUST be oil pressure. Oil is forced throughout the engine under pressure. If the pump is bad or the bearings worn oil pressure will lower than normal or it may go to zero just before the engine goes to engine heaven.

The gauge needs +12 volts and ground with the key in the RUN position so check that first. Then momentarily jump the "S" (send) terminal on the gauge to ground. The gauge should peg to the right. If it doesn't the gauge is bad (provided you actually checked for +12 volts and ground). If the gauge is ok, then go to the sender. Disconnect the wire and measure the resistance to ground. You should see about 240 ohms with the engine off and somewhere around closer to 40 ohms with the engine running. If that checks ok then the wire between the sender and gauge is open. Check it end to end with an ohm meter. If all of these test ok you did something wrong.

Another way to verify if it is an actual engine problem or a gauge problem is to buy a mechanical gauge at any auto parts store. Remove the electrical sender, install the mechanical gauge and start the engine. If you now have oil pressure you know it's a gauge, sender, or wiring problem. If you don't have oil pressure, then an engine tear down is necessary.

fucawi

Banned

Do you have an oil pressure warning light as well......these go off about 5 psi ....you can have the gauge and the warning light if you fit a T piece from your auto store..

tpenfield

Staff member

There is a gauge sender and a warning buzzer sender. Since you did not get a warning buzzer, then it may be a problem with the gauge or the sender.

If I were me, I'd do the following . . .

Refrain from running the engine if the pressure reading is low or zero.

Check electrical connections at the gauge and at the sender.

Remove the sender and crank the engine to see if oil squirts out.

If all evidence points to the sender, then get a new sender.

fucawi

Banned

OP does not say if he has warning light or buzzer ...its the old problem ..they panic put a post on here ..sort it and we never find out what the problem was ......

John_S

Rear Admiral

I see you have 90's boats, so there is a good chance you have Mercruiser's Audio Warning System. That system has a seperate switch for a buzzer, as Ted described. Even without the audio warning system, zero oil pressure means your valve train would have been making a heck of a racket. Hard to miss that. I wouldn't panic over the engine.

Follow SilverTips diagnois path. It matches the service manual. A zero oil pressure indication is most likely an open in the send or bad gauge.

93ultra

Seaman Apprentice

Sorry about the lag in time to reply back guys, holidays came and couldn't get back to it. I do have a warning buzzer and I tested oil pressure with a mechanical pressure guage and found that I had oil pressure so I replaced the oil pressure sending unit and still had no reading. After much trial and error and a couple other problems later I found that my main engine wiring harness plug had corrosion in it at the connection to the boat, cleaned it up a nd guage works good. As far as panicing and then running fucawi sometimes theres not enough time to get back immediately. Thanks everyone for your help!!

Bill3434

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I 1st joined the army I was an equipment operator and one of the 1st things they taught us when the oil pressure hits zero or doesn't get to operating pressure within 15 seconds on starting, you have better be shutting that engine down. They are a little crazy about us doing that. Having oil doesn't equal oil pressure.