Oil pressure gauge dance

Status
Not open for further replies.

binduni

Cadet
The oil pressure gauge in my '02 Rinker 212 is flopping around like a fish out of water! I have maybe 10 hours on it and it's been irratic ever since I brought it home 2 weeks ago. My question is, has anyone experienced this? If so, what was the cure? I have the dealer sending me a new sending unit to try.<br />BTW - motor is 5.0L MPI MerCruiser. No noises, no alarms, so I'm thinking the oil pressure is actually OK. And yes, I'll check with a mechanical unit, but looking for others with this experience. Thanks!

6MISFITZ

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Oil pressure gauge dance

Make sure that you check the condition of the oil as well as using a mechanical guage. If all is O.K., then the new sender should do the trick. <br /><br />If not, have the DEALER do the electrical tests on the wiring harness and guages under warranty. There could be a bad ground, bad connection or bad gauge.<br /><br />Mike.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

When you say it dances around. Does the pressure constantly change when the engine is running at a constant rpm? Or does it fluctuate when the rpm is changed. I have been told that a good engine will increase its pressure in relation to the rpm. If its irratic all the time with no regards to the rpm, sounds like the terminal wire on the sending unit or guage is loose. If those are tight, find a piece of wire and attach one end to a good clean ground and the other end on the brass part of the sending unit. If that cures the problem, it may just be a matter of too much pipe sealant on the sending unit not allowing it to ground properly. This sometime does happen. Paint in the treads can insulate the sending unit from grounding properly. Good Luck.

binduni

Cadet

Thanks for the feedback! It really hit me that this is a new boat and I should have a perfectly working pleasure craft.... so let the dealer fix it :) <br />I'll let you know how it turns out.

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I couldn't have said it better myself! Let the dealer fix it!!!!<br /><br />BTW...who'd ya buy it from?<br /><br />Walt

binduni

Cadet

Walter,<br />Tried to go through Beaverton Marine, the local Rinker dealer, but they didn't have and couldn't get a 212 Captiva. Ended up going to Specailty Recreation and Marine in Coeur D'Alene, Idaho. Really missed the boat (all pun intended) in May when Beaverton Marine had an '01 212 Captiva in their showroom - and for a lot less than I ended up paying! Oh, well. It's all worked out OK and Beaverton Marine said they will service the boat as needed. Good guys...

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Beaverton Marine...that's who my buddy works for...<br /><br />Yeah, most likely your oil pressure sensor is hoaky or you've got a bad connection somewhere in that circuit. Shouldn't take long for them to fix it. Ask to speak to Garth if you wanna have him help you with the skeg issue. I'm sure his boss knows he does side work...but ya might wanna talk to him in private.<br /><br />Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.