oil pressure 4.3lx

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The oil pressure gauge fluctuates and is very erratic.<br />I am wondering what could be causing this?<br />There is oil in the engine but it is getting toward the low mark and black which would suggest that it needs changing.<br />Th motor runs fine but would like to see a constant reading for peace of mind.<br />Any suggestions?<br />many thanks

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: oil pressure 4.3lx

Start looking for bad connections or grounds. :( <br /><br />Chris............

Lou C

Supreme Mariner

Change the oil and filter, use a good marine rated oil and filter, and then re-check. You may need to clean the terminals on the sending unit or the gauge.

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok thanks for the suggestions.<br />I need to get the oil changed and can see the filter is at the back.Wished i had one of those flexible drains that go thru the plug hole.<br />Where is the pressure sender?<br />Do they mess about ? <br />I can see that there are two electrical connections nearby the filter.<br />If i earth the wire what should i see at the gauge?<br />My manual is at a friends at the moment and will probably hold the info i require if i look.<br />Just not familiar with V-6 .<br />Thanks again Peter

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

WOW peter do the easy things first, change the oil. that engine is designed to suck it out from the DIPstick. change the filter use SAE 40 w oil. why would you run a boat long enough for it to burn a QT? I have customers running that engine 100hr a year with no oil consumption. then if you are still not happy with the gauge reading, have it wet tested through the oil pressure port. lastley what king of gauges are in this vessel? most company's are using not the best gauges. bob

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Like you easy things first!<br />Found two earthing wires adrift, bingo re- attached and all is fine.<br />Perhaps the air/sea temperature gauge might be more accurate now.<br />The gauges are "Faria" brand.<br />What is a QT?<br />Will be changing the oil at the nearest opportunity i get.<br />Many thanks for your input<br />Peter

a.d.mobile

Petty Officer 1st Class

QT is a Quart, as a quart of engine oil. you will need to buy 5qt put 4qt in and fire engine then check and add to the full line on the DIPstick. bob

Peter1959628

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Must have been asleep when reading QT!<br />The oil i think was new at the begining of this season/end of last season as it looked like oil should. Now with running (most of the time quite hard) oil has blackened.<br />This must be a sign that it is doing its job.<br />Pro-long brand oil is the sticker on the plastic cover over top and have been told that its not too good an oil.<br /><br />Having the gauge acting up worried me no end. <br />It was just a simple fix if i had done a cursory close inspection would have saved the worry.<br />Thanks again for all your help<br />Peter