oil mix question/throttle alarm

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a question that I would like to put to bed once and for all. When mixing oil into your gas for a two stroke oil, do you put the oil in first and then the gas or vice versa?<br />For years I poured gas, then added oil and shook the portable cans for my outboard. Then I started pouring in most of the oil first and then adding the gas. I would then top up the oil if I had to. I had no problems either way, but now I am mixing my oil and gas in a 50litre built in gas tank.<br />Today, I poured in 1000ml of quicksilver into the tank first and added 50l of gas. while driving the boat, the alarm went off at the throttle. The only time I've ever had this happen before, was on another boat when my water pump wasn't working right. <br />It shouldn't be the waterpump as I just had a new one installed during a rebuild.<br />Any ideas why it would be happening and could the oil be the problem?<br />By the way, the engine is a 1990 115hp yamaha.

LubeDude

Admiral
Re: oil mix question/throttle alarm

Just one question, I thought all Yamaha engines of that vintage had oil injection?? Maybe not! Or was it disconnected?

D

DJ

The only way an oil alarm would go off is if the oil injection was not working. It cannot sense the fact that you mixed it.<br /><br />I would look elsewhere for your alarm, unless the oil injection system is intact and malfunctioning (dry, etc).

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The oil injection is in place but disconnected.<br />The oil reservoir is filled to keep the sensor happy, so now I am looking at the control box itself.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner

In answer to the original question: On permanent tanks with some fuel in them, add oil and then gas. They will mix just fine by the time you get the motor started. On portable tanks that are empty, add oil and gas in equal amounts, give it a bit of a shake, and add the reaminder of the gas. I always mix in 3 gal increments. It is easy to calculate(8 oz plus 3 gal gas = 50::1), and you can always fill your tank within 3 gal of full without having to guess too precisely how much fule you still have!

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

Since I have to refuel with 5 gallon plastic fuel cans, I just fill them with gas. When I am ready to use them, I put the oil in the cans, then I fill the boat from the cans. I figure it should be pretty much mixed after all that. If filling directly from pump to tank, I like to fill part way, put the oil in, and fill the rest of the way, keeping an eye on the gallons.