oil level indicator

dan the gman

Cadet
New to the site and wondering if anyone can explain how the oil level indicator on a 60H 3 cylinder 2 stroke Mercury (2005) works or where i could go on the forum to find out.

Thanks in advance,
gmandan

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Let's try a 90, should be similar. 2 wires go to the external (to the tank) switch on the oil tank, back side, near the block where you can't see it..... Inside is a float with a magnet attached. Magnet controls switch position. If magnet falls off, which apparently it is known to do, you can't get proper operation. Fails are shorts. If you find the two identically colored wires, I keep thinking light blue, white stripe, measuring between them at the bayonet connection to the wiring harness if you have a short circuit you have your fail. I don't know how to retrieve the magnet. But you can bet a knowledgeable guy will read my jibberish and jump on me for being wrong and in the process you will get a correct answer. Grin.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It helps to know the serial number of the motor. Are you having a problem?

Here is the Theory of Operation describing how the oil injection works and the oil level sensing - http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercury/manua...5-60.html#/154

This is diagram for Serial numbers 0T980000 & Up (USA);

Item 11 is the Oil Level Switch. It has a floating magnet and mercury switch inside the tube and if the oil level drops and makes the switch, it sets off the warning horn.

The floating magnet is what Texasmark referred to. You remembered the light blue wire colors, Mark. :smile:

Probably the only fix is to replace the sensor.

oilinj.PNG

dan the gman

Cadet
Thanks for the response and very helpful info Texasmark and GA_Boater. It started out with an injection oil leak that I located coming off the bottom of the oil tank.I tried to repair it with sealer but it kept slowly leaking and and eventually dripping off the back of the motor. The switch works but the leak is annoying. Is guess my next question is where is the oil coming from and is the plastic tank defective internally? Motor serial# 1B209306---2005 60 EOJET 40. Again, thanks for the reply.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks GA

Dan, sure your cap seal isn't doing the leaking? Do you fill your oil tank to the full mark and do you tilt your engine during usage, trasport, or parking? Might be the source of your oil rather than the seal you mentioned....BTDT

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As Mark said, check the seal on the cap. They can be worn or torn when the cap is removed to fill the tank.

If it is the sensor, it is mounted through the bottom of the tank. Can't tell if the sensor has a seal as part of it or a separate seal. The Boatinfo link above has a drawing for installation.

oilsensor.PNG

dan the gman

Cadet
Thanks again for the helpful advice and diagrahms GA and Mark. I pulled the tank and upon further inspection I found a hairline crack in the upper feed to the sight tube. I also found a small leak coming from the screw hole that secures the level sensor. I am not sure how it could leak from there since it appears to be a one piece molded tank There is no gasket or o ring. I ordered a new tank and am going to cut the old one apart just out of curiosity. I'll post later if I find anything significant after exploring. Thanks again for the help.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the feedback. Seldom get it especially on farm related sites.