Oil leaking out prop

cave62

Cadet
HI all I'm new and just bought my first used boat yesterday. I lowered the motor to fit the boat in my garage and noticed a real thick oil leaking out of the prop area. It's a 94 50hp oil injected johnson that hasn't been started since june 2010 but ran great at that time. Should I take it in?

85 BOMBER

Seaman
Re: Oil leaking out prop

Sounds like a bad prop shaft seal. If oil can get out, water can get in. Definately needs to be looked at.

It is most likely nothing to worry about. the questions you need to answer are is the oil black? did you idle a decent distance before you put the boat on the trailer? did you run the motor with the muffs when you got home? If answer is yes to 2 of 3, Then it is most likely unburned 2 stroke oil. When at idle or when the motor is run with the muffs all of the fuel mix does not get burnt which causes it to come out of the exhaust. The gas usually will mostly evaporate by the time it gets there leaving just the oil.

cave62

Cadet

The boat hasn't even been started since last june I bought from a neighbor so I know it's not a lemon. The oil is a thick milk color and pretty sticky to the touch. Thank for the quick replies guys I really appreciate it!

cave62

Cadet

DSC05269.jpg
[/IMG] I hope this helps, the oil does smell like it's mixed with fuel.

dew2

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Drain the lower,If the oil in it looks milky there is a leak some where.It will need a seal kit,you can have the lower pressure tested,BUT if the oil is milky I'd just install a seal kit.

cave62

Cadet

I drained the lower unit and it looks pretty green with a hint of milk. Seal kit then? I just found a receipt In the owners manual dated june 2010. It says it had new plugs installed, carb cleaned and compression is good. It was tuned and runs good at all speeds. But it hasn't been started since late June. Should I have a full inspection or just a seal kit done? Is the seal kit diy? I'm like most people I don't have a lot of money to spend. 87614-boat-motor-seals-40-48-50hp..jpg

cave62

Cadet

Scale 1-10 how sure are you it's a seal? And thanks a lot for the help I hope this will fix the issue.

gradytom

Seaman Apprentice

Maybe its a spring startup showing fogging oil getting blown out the exhaust.
Was the motor fogged last fall?

cave62

Cadet

I got to the top of the first seal and I don't know how to get it out. Is there a special tool needed to get in there and remove them? I called the original owner about the leak and he was told it was leaking through the rubber impact bushing in the hub? He also said the boat was not winterized last fall and it gets pretty cold here in Michigan.