Oil leaking from two small holes in lower unit

Status
Not open for further replies.

rodttu02

Cadet
I took our "new" cajun bassboat out yesterday and it ran like nearly new. The boat and motor haven't been in the water for 10 years. I did all the expected maintenance - new fule lines, removal and cleaning of fuel tank, new spark plugs, complete water pump, thermostat, and lower unit drain and fill. After cleaning out the boat this morning, we noticed a little gear fluid leaking from two small holes on the right side of the lower unit. It is not milky and is the greenish color of gear oil. Is there any reason for concern? Thanks in advance for your feedback!

wickware

Lieutenant
Re: Oil leaking from two small holes in lower unit

Please post a close picture of the engine?s concern and info (year, model, model #, etc).

rodttu02

Cadet
The engine is a 1990 Force 120. I created the post from my mobile phone and haven't figured out how to post pictures from. I'll post that tonight when I get back to my laptop. Thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

If you are CERTAIN that the gear oil was NOT from changing it--that is a spill you did not adequately clean or leaking fill and vent plugs--then yes, it is a cause for concern. Before you go wild, check the fill and vent gaskets to be sure they are sealing well. Buy new if there is any question in your mind--they are cheap.

Clean the lower unit well and set a piece of cardboard or paper under it. Top off the oil and replace the plugs. Wipe any oil that is on the lower unit and let it set a couple of days. If there is still evidence of leaking, remove the lower unit and pressure test it.

rodttu02

Cadet

After some reading today, I'm fairly sure this is just unburnt oil/fuel. It doesn't smell like gear oil and I've read where this can be normal for an engine that hasn't been ran in a while.

Have you guys heard of this before?

Attachments

• 20120617_105333.jpg
    20120617_105333.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 20120617_121922.jpg
    20120617_121922.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 15

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Yep! Those weep holes are there specifically to drain residual water out of blind recesses in the unit. During running unburned oil and exhaust residue will also collect there and weep out later. HOWEVER---If there is a bad seal on topeother at the water pump or cover plate and if you overfill the unit, lower unit oil will also exit these holes. Lower unit oil has a distinctive "sulphur" smell. Unberned two cycle oil mixwd with exhaust residue will have a completely different "burned" smell

rodttu02

Cadet

Thanks, Frank...that's very reassuring!

I'm going to check the lower unit oil level again and make sure it isn't overfilled. I made certain to not do that when I refilled it, but it is worth another check. The oil definitely doesn't smell like gear oil so I think I'm in the clear.

I'll post any further findings or results in the hopes it might help someone else. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge. I greatly appreciate it!

Jiggz

Captain

I do get those black oil from unburned fuel every start of summer. But after daily use in the summer the dripping stops. And yes, the smell of fuel vice strong smell of sulfur will tell you if it's gear oil or not.

rodttu02

Cadet

Excellent, that is great news. We're going to celebrate the rain we're getting this summer down in Texas and run this thing every chance we get.

Now that I think about it, I seem to remember there being a bit off pooling up of fuel in the intake covers. I think I may have overprimed it, but didn't think much about it. Could this possibly be where that is coming from? I wasn't very concerned about it since it ran so well. I wonder if I need to look into the cause of that???

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

That looks too clean to be unburned gas/oil.It's usually black and yucky!!
Make sure the screws are tight and the gaskets are good.
All else fails do a pressure test.
That's a 100% answer.

rodttu02

Cadet

Is there a specific tool to perform a pressure test? I'm not at all opposed to that idea, but not sure where to begin.

Anthony d.

Recruit

Please post a close picture of the engine?s concern and info (year, model, model #, etc).
Sounds like it is coming from the vent hole,if so this is unburned fuel,had that happen and turned out i was mixing a little too much oil w/the fuel mix.

rodttu02

Cadet

Turns out this was unburnt fuel. I believe it was splatter that was coming out of the front of the carbs. I'm pretty sure I have a fuel consumption issue as well. Sometimes when the engine is idling, or shortly after we shut it down, there is a pretty significant oil/gas sheen that rises to the top of the water. I've tried sea-foam, new plugs, adjusting the carbs, etc. I can't seem to shake this issue and am running out of ideas...

Jiggz

Captain

Have you tried doing a visual check of the carbs while running in the water (cowl off) just to see if the carbs are leaking?

rodttu02

Cadet

I have checked that out as well. I had the boat in a lift this weekend with the cowl off. The engine used to spray out a little fuel when it was choking and there was always a little bit of fuel in the channels of the intake covers. I assumed that was normal since there is a channel there to begin with. The carb bowls were a little loose and some fuel was leaking there, but I got that tight and cleared that up. From the best that I can tell, there is only one adjustment screw on the carbs and I have to assume that is the air/fuel mixture screw. I've fiddled around with that, but still get the sheen. Could it be that I'm not getting enough fire to the plugs? Since this is the first time the boat has ran in years, should I maybe go ahead and change the plugs? The boat doesn't have any problems running smooth or starting up, just throwing out ideas.

GEY203X

Cadet

Is there a specific tool to perform a pressure test? I'm not at all opposed to that idea, but not sure where to begin.
You Need to Apply Vacuum and Air Pressure and Get both to hold. You May have to Dunk in Water and look for Bubbles.A simple Bicycle Pump and MightyVac unit for the Vacuum Side is All You will need Because You Want to be careful not to Over inflate the Gear housing or Draw too Much Vacuum on It.

Status
Not open for further replies.