Oil leak now, uggg

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got my pretty boat all ready to go today, drove two hours then bam. I have an oil leak. It was not there earlier in the day at home. On top of that I had a coolant hose all of a sudden spring a leak. The water hose started leaking right after I cranked the engine. Then I noticed that the water in the bilge was kind of oily. I could clearly see the drip from the water, then the drip from the oil (two or three times, then no more oil drip). Just can't figure out where the he!! it is coming from. The best I can tell it looks like maybe its coming from the oil pan, looks like a brand new gasket on there. I wonder if they tightened the bolts correctly, gonna have to check that out tommorrow.

Its dripping down right underneath the oil filter, no its not the oil filter its clean as can be, but the top of the top of the oil pan is oily...any tips here to help me track this down?

I lost about half a quart of oil in about 2 hours...gotta figure this out..

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Oil leak now, uggg

Penta SX 3.0GL, I always forget to incoude that:rolleyes:

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

Clean it up, put some baby powder on it to trace it.....
1 quart in two hours is alot.....;)

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clean it up, put some baby powder on it to trace it.....
1 quart in two hours is alot.....;)

I never thought about putting baby powder on the engine to help find it. That should make it a little easier.

Thanks

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I found where it was dripping from. I think this may be the front cover oil seal? Can anyone confirm?

the arrows are where the leak is in the first two pics, the last is the top of the pully and a little oil :(

How hard of a fix is this going to be or should I take it to a marine shop.

Attachments

• resize1.jpg
    resize1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 0
  • resize2.jpg
    resize2.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • resize4.jpg
    resize4.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member

I think this may be the front cover oil seal? Can anyone confirm?

Ayuh,..... That appears to be Correct........

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ya I figured, it was dripping between the pully and the cover. pretty steady too once the engine got warm....

It looks like it would not be that hard of a job if I had an engine hoist. Since I don't have one though it looks like I'm not going to be able to do it. It appears you have to remove the front engine mounts...

How much, roughly I suppose, should I expect to pay to get this fixed? 3-4 hours labor sound right or am I way off base..

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,.....

That Depends,....

To do it Right,... The motor has to come Out,.... The Oil Pan goes on After the Timing Cover......

Some shops will Cheat the job, by just loosening the Oil Pan,+ Muscling the Timing Cover off,+ back on,... Then just buttering sealant around the Oil Pan,+ retightening it.....

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

damnit....

:(

Two local companies, by local I mean I mean 1.5 hours away...One is backed up over a month..qouted 700 + parts..Another qouted 500-600 for everything..about two weeks backed up...Guess where I'm taking it..

a70eliminator

Captain

Thats cool get r done.By the way did you sneak that mirror back to mama's vanity without her finding out you got oil on it?

Robj

Lieutenant

While you are at it, I would also get your rear main seal replaced, especially if they are pulling the engine. Last year I changed my front seals but not the rear ones. Currently the engine is out and I am changing the rear main seal also. Should have done it last year. Oh well.

Have a great day,

Rob.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

While you are at it, I would also get your rear main seal replaced, especially if they are pulling the engine. Last year I changed my front seals but not the rear ones. Currently the engine is out and I am changing the rear main seal also. Should have done it last year. Oh well.

Have a great day,

Rob.

The thing is they were both replaced two seasons ago.....but that was in Texas by the previous owner. I did speak with the shop who did the work to verify.