Oil leak - I think I can fix..need advice

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, as some of you know I had a bunch of work done on my Volvo Penta 3.0GL. Also had the transom rebuilt..but thats beside the point. When they reinstalled the motor after doing some engine work they pushed the oil drain tube "block" into the bilge pump. It is leaking where the arrow is and following the path that I highlighted. Now the million dollar question is, that big bolt that I pointed to, If I loosen it, turn the block so it doesn't push into the pump, tighten it do you think it will stop the leak. Is that what that bolt does?

Sorry for the dumb question..

Attachments

• small.jpg
    small.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 0
  • small2.jpg
    small2.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 0

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oil leak - I think I can fix..need advice

That bolt is hollow and holds the block to the oil pan. You should be able to loosen it, adjust the block as needed and then retighten it. However, if you need to have the block turned so the outlet (hose) is horizontal to slightly downward or you won't drain all the oil at change time (unless you are sucking it out).

ziggy

Admiral

i had one of them on my last boat. i had to tighten it periodicly. wasn't rubbing on anything, just seemed to work itself loose.....

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

any ideas on how to get that pump out of there so I can get something around that bolt?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

It's a Mayfair bilge pump. Just turn the yellow part CCW about a 1/4 turn and it will come out. The base is probably screwed into the hull.
That block is also for your dipstick tube, and will have to be turned to fit the tube. It's designed for the oil to be sucked out of the pan with a pump, not to drain out.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After I turn it is it supposed to lift up? I have turned it a bit to the "unlocked" direction but still can't budge it. If it is supposed to come up the block is in the way??

I can turn the block a bit I think and the tube fit just fine. They turned it that way when they did the motor work. I understand the oil is supposed to be sucked out with a pump, which I have ordered from iboats btw.

It would just go back to them but they are a ways from me..

And what is this "quick disconnect" I read about on this pump? Its got some bracket on the back side of that I can't see very well.

Don S

If it was me, I would break the pump out of the way. They are cheap pumps anyway and not worth the hassel of lifting the engine up off of it.

EDIT: When I said cheap, I meant as inexpensive $20 or less, not worth a long drive towing a boat to lift the engine off of it to save the pump.

http://www.iboats.com/300_600_GPH/d...ategory--**********.213886155--view_id.238562

Uraijit

Banned

I'd just use a crow's foot wrench on the bolt, and leave the pump alone...

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, I broke the pump to get it out but whatever like ya said. However after tightening the bolt the pan still leaks. So I removed the drain plug/block to find a sealing washer. It looks in good shape but that must be what needs to be replaced.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/COOL...*****.753565548--store_id.366--view_id.311837

It is part #67...autozone aint gonna have a part that I can subsititute?

Coors

Captain

Take it to them and match it.

Don S

You need items 22 (which is a crush water) 69 (an oring) and the seal ring 67 which is not the same as automotive.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

ok will do...

when I install my new bilge pump will any type of two part epoxy work to seal the new(and old) screw holes?

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok, well I replaced those parts, and the damn thing still leaks. Any ideas? I mean shesh.