Oil Leak From Stirring Box

Dog1Leg

Cadet
My wife and I purchased a new 'Wellcraft -180 Fisherman' (year model is 2001) a little over a year ago. We have been experiencing problems with oil leaking out of the steering box during hot weather. We took it to the shop where we bought it for repairs about three times now. The first time they said it was overfilled from the factory. The second time, they said they installed a seal. The third time we were told there wasn't a seal installed, and they just tightened it up. <br /><br />We were told this is a very common problem, and if we got a new part, it's no guarantee that it will not leak again. Being that it is still under warranty, we felt that they should have replaced it with a new part so we took it back to have it replaced, and it's still leaking. <br /><br />Can anyone explain the reason for this leak, especially during hot weather, and if so, how can we correct it? Is this a common problem with Wellcraft boats, or is it a problem with all boats? Will we continue to experience problems with the stirring helm if it's leaking now, and will this cause major problems later? Why should it leak and what is the cause of the leaks? If Wellcraft has problems with the stirring helm in their boats, we would like to know in advance. Anyone experience this sort of problem? Would appreciate any and all info.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dog1Leg

Solittle

Fleet Admiral
Re: Oil Leak From Stirring Box

Dog1Leg - You are getting the run around from your dealer who does not want to fix the thing. I assume that you are still under warranty. You can correct the problem by leaning on the dealer and not letting him give you a lot of excuses.<br /><br />For what it is worth I have a 1988 23' Wellcraft CC with twin SeaDrives. My steering box leaks but I do not fault Wellcraft as my boat is 15 years old. I just check it before every outing and refill as needed.<br /><br />Summer heat does not come into play on this.

Dog1Leg

Cadet
Re: Oil Leak From Stirring Box

Thanks SoLittle for info. I was just told that I've posted my question to the wrong area, so have to move it. I think we're getting the run around also. Do plan on making them fix it, or get our money back.<br />Thanks.