Oil Leak From Steering Box

Dog1Leg

Cadet
My wife and I purchased a new 'Wellcraft -180 Fisherman' (year model is 2001) a little over a year ago. We have been experiencing problems with oil leaking out of the steering box during hot weather. We took it to the shop where we bought it for repairs about three times now. The first time they said it was overfilled from the factory. The second time, they said they installed a seal. The third time we were told there wasn't a seal installed, and they just tightened it up. <br /><br />We were told this is a very common problem, and if we got a new part, it's no guarantee that it will not leak again. Being that it is still under warranty, we felt that they should have replaced it with a new part so we took it back to have it replaced, and it's still leaking. <br /><br />Can anyone explain the reason for this leak, especially during hot weather, and if so, how can we correct it? Is this a common problem with Wellcraft boats, or is it a problem with all boats? Will we continue to experience problems with the stirring helm if it's leaking now, and will this cause major problems later? Why should it leak and what is the cause of the leaks? If Wellcraft has problems with the stirring helm in their boats, we would like to know in advance. Anyone experience this sort of problem? Would appreciate any and all info.<br /><br />Thanks,<br />Dog1Leg

denniz

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil Leak From Steering Box

Hydralic steering? Im asuming. Shouldnt leak any where at anytime this is a big safety issue. YOU could loose your steering if you lose the fluid.

Dog1Leg

Cadet
Re: Oil Leak From Steering Box

Thanks Rod. My thoughts exactly. :mad: I will continue to push this issue until corrected. The whole purpose of us purchasing a better boat was the security and safety factor. Being disabled, I wanted a boat that would be dependable in case something happened and I had to get back to shore quickly. This would not help me at all if my steering went out in the process. :eek: Some people just tell you anything to make money, or save money. Thanks again.<br />Dog1Leg