Oil Leak from Gear Case Hub

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re 1986 Evinrude 110 hp

Well, I thought I had a lower gear case oil leak due the bottom screw and washer.

But, I have a more serious problem than a washer. The TRUE oil leak is coming out the bottom of the hub where the prop is.

I took the prop off after seeing an oil line down the back of the skeg, and yep, somehow the lower gearcase oil is coming out there (of course, the real leak is inside the hub up front in that dark cavity somewhere). Drat. How easy is it to fix this problem?

Jack

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Oil Leak from Gear Case Hub

Ok, but how easy is it to fix this problem? I have no idea of the skill level, material needed, or time involved.

Jack​

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Do you have a factory OEM service manual?

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes, I've got the big OMC manual. However, it goes into removing the lower unit but is not problem specific, e.g., taking care of the oil leak problem. So I have no idea if you need to remove the whole lower unit in order to remove the parts I need to work on, and it doesn't say specifically what I need to accomplish or what the steps would be.​

jbjennings

Captain

If it's been in saltwater, I suspect it could be a booger. The biggest problem will be getting the bearing carrier out without breaking it. Then, you will need some kind of seal puller to get the propshaft seal out. I've never done a big motor like that so I can't be of much help. If your manual isn't specific I wouldn't even try it. Those lower units are too expensive to mess up.
JBJ

jack7771

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yeah, I've decided to let the pros do it. I found a place called Ken's Marine, Inc. -- a certified repair place, and only about 30 miles from here. Never knew it existed till after doing a lot of Internet searching.​

Jack​