Oil leak around plug still

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey Don!

I replaced the crush washer, o-ring, and sealing washer with Dealer parts and the dumb thing still leaks! I tighted it to spec, 15-18ft #'s. I even tried putting a thin coat of black atv (after draining oil and cleaning) around the sealing washer where it leaks. It leaks around the sealing washer, between the block and the oil pan.

Ideas?

I thought about just using an automotive plug and ditching this hole withdrawl tube business. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

Here is a pic of where it is leaking, FYI the bilge pump has been moved.

http://forums.iboats.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=13475&d=1212799889

Coors

Captain
Re: Oil leak around plug still

Look real close and figure out (good cleaning first) where exactly is the leak.
Sometimes it wasn't tight, sometimes it was the wrong washer, ring, etc.
Not clean.

Coors

Captain

Is it tight? Can you feel about ; that looks like 15 foot lbs or less, should seal it.
Try this, hand tight, and 3/4 turn more.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Nothing is stripped. I know EXACTLY where the leak is. As I said I used dealer parts and they were the correct parts, I purchased two sealing washers actually. I could try and loosen it a bit and see but its not really that tight.

I cleaned the surfaces with a wire brush, then acetone before installing new parts.

It just doesn't make any sense. Its like the sealing washer isn't the right part but it is, I triple checked the part #, then checked again. I used the serial # off my motor to order the part.

I think it is probably about hand tight and 3/4 a turn more..I'll check tommorrow.

Coors

Captain

Actually not 3/4 turn.
With a ratchet (3/8) or a wrench 8" long; a snug 1/3 of a turn. Hard to descibe, it is a feel.
Google the inch or foot pounds.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll check..

Its a slow leak, about a drop every 2 hours. Still though, shouldn't be leaking at all.

fishmen111

Chief Petty Officer

When I get those, I just use a little Permatex RTV around it.

Coors

Captain

I'll check..

Its a slow leak, about a drop every 2 hours. Still though, shouldn't be leaking at all.

Try just a little more oomph on the wrench. That should do it, you need more compression on the plastic.

chiefalen

Captain

i bet it's not leaking between the pan and the nut but rather the tube and the nut.it has a tube that u attach the oil exstracter to right.that nut has a hole on the other side thats not visable in the pic.2 choices here.u can do what i did and remove the nut and fill in that stickin hole with solder.i never had a leak after i did that 4 years now.or replace with a regular oil change nut no hole for the exstractor.when u go to change the oil just unscrew nut let drain into bilge and than out thru the hole and a bucket.god luck

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I thought about just using an automotive plug and ditching this hole withdrawl tube business. If anyone else has any ideas please let me know.

You can't just ditch that tube, it's also the dipstick tube and you NEED the dipstick.

My guess is where the tube is attached to the block, it's just a little off from perfectly flat with the pan. That 15 to 18 lbs isn't enough to twist the steel tube to line it up. As stated, just tighten it down alittle more and it will probably stop leaking.

JustJason

Vice Admiral

it also looks like you have teflon tape on the threads in the picture, that shouldn't be there either.
Clean up all the threads and use a little perfect seal on them, should be fine.

chiefalen

Captain

thats the dipstick also?or is this just the oil change plug.

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

No, this one does not have the dipstick in that tube, it is seperate.

No Teflon, that is some black rtv that I tried in a last ditch effort.

I put baby power all over the place and it is leaking between the block and the oil pan, no doubt about it.

I'm really leaning to just getting rid of it and putting automotive plug with plastic sealing washer in there. My cars never leak.

Are those bolts almost universal in size?

Thanks a million for all the help though..

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My guess is where the tube is attached to the block, it's just a little off from perfectly flat with the pan. That 15 to 18 lbs isn't enough to twist the steel tube to line it up. As stated, just tighten it down alittle more and it will probably stop leaking.[/QUOTE]

I thought about this, before I was putting it on I noticed how touchy it was.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

There is also an oring between the tube and the block. Item #82

12296.gif

demolish50

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well I loosened the bolt, just a little. I'm talking less then 1/16 of a turn. Not a drop since 11am this morning.

Coors

Captain

Gaskets; o-rings; etc. Something is still not seated correctly.
Start again, with new ones, and make sure they are seated.

If you don't, the leak will start again, at a bad time.