oil injection or manual mix for a new Outboard

leon

Cadet
I repowered my 20' Wellcraft with a new Johnson 175. My boat mechanic wants to know if I want an oil injection to do the mixture. I am a control freak and I've heard horror stories about blown up engines. He says that wass a problem 5 years ago but now they work. I'm interested in any opinions anyone has on this. If they really wor I would like the convenience.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: oil injection or manual mix for a new Outboard

Hi, Leon. Your wrench is correct. The infamous VRO is a thing of the past. Modern oil injection systems are reliable, accurate and much cleaner than premix, as well as using less oil.<br /><br />happy boating.<br />JB
smile.gif

Big Rod

Seaman Apprentice

J.B., Do you really feel that on the newer OMC('00,'01's)that the oil consumption is less? I thought they are 50:1 full time with the pulse drive pumps. I would certainly agree that the mechanical drive pumps are more economical...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Had a senior moment there, Big Rod. You are correct, of course. Glad someone is checking on me.<br /><br />JB
smile.gif

lthompso

Recruit

Just some food for thought, but if this is a new motor, it may require pre-mix in the tank during the breakin period, in addition to the oil that is injected from the oil reservoir. After breakin, the oil injection does the job.

leon

Cadet

thanks, everybody, for your input. I'm convinced. I'm going to get injector installed. It strikes me that I am more likely to make a mistake than it is. I need to ask my mechanic about the pre-mix thing.