Oil in the Spark PLUGS!!? HELP MEEE!!

lazydayz

Cadet
So this is what happen...ran the boat perfect at the lake....was pushing pretty hard all day....when it was time to load it onto the trailer i was giving it gas and i had to give a lot of gas and then the engine just died. When i would try to start it up nothing would happen....no noise nothing...so we took it home and worked on it today.

I took spark plugs out and theres black oil in the plugs.....how does that happen? I couldnt get it to start again...after cleaning the plugs we tried firing it up and it began to crank this time...now it seems to not even start...im sure if i replace the spark plugs it will work for maybe 1 more run but i would like to figure out the problem....

Any idea whats wrong with it?

The motor is old. I think its a 1978 Mercury outboard. V6 Black Max.

Thank you again guys for your help!

Ill post pics tomorrow morning when i work on it again.

-Omar

j_martin

Admiral
Re: Oil in the Spark PLUGS!!? HELP MEEE!!

So this is what happen...ran the boat perfect at the lake....was pushing pretty hard all day....when it was time to load it onto the trailer i was giving it gas and i had to give a lot of gas and then the engine just died. When i would try to start it up nothing would happen....no noise nothing...so we took it home and worked on it today.

I took spark plugs out and theres black oil in the plugs.....how does that happen? I couldnt get it to start again...after cleaning the plugs we tried firing it up and it began to crank this time...now it seems to not even start...im sure if i replace the spark plugs it will work for maybe 1 more run but i would like to figure out the problem....

Any idea whats wrong with it?

The motor is old. I think its a 1978 Mercury outboard. V6 Black Max.

Thank you again guys for your help!

Ill post pics tomorrow morning when i work on it again.

-Omar

You put oil in the gas, don't you? Of course the plugs are oily. That would be normal.

Now, to the problem. You expect to complain that your feelings are hurt because the durned motor won't start, and expect us by some majick seance or something to tell you which of the 30 or so items that could do that is the culprit.

You said it didn't make noise. What does that mean? Didn't crank? Didn't fire? Ears are plugged?

When it failed, was it loading up and smoking, or seizing? Did it get hot?

Does it have spark?

hope it helps
John

blazer81.6

Seaman
Re: Oil in the Spark PLUGS!!? HELP MEEE!!

Good Day.....well I don't want to jump to conclusions but typically excessive oil located on plugs isn't good (when loss of power is involved). FIRST, complete a compression check on you motor. I'm guessing you will find your problem.....Blazer