oil in the lower unit? I have no separate fill port/screw

Status
Not open for further replies.

DirtyDicks

Recruit
I have an 82 Mercruiser IO I an just dropped the lower unit to install a new impeller. I drained the oil out of the very bottom. After I put it together, I went to put oil back in the oil port near the top of the outdrive (port side) and it already seamed to have a lot of oil in it> :confused: My manual says that there are two separate oil chambers and fill points for the upper and lower units and shows a pair of screw ports just below the anit cavitation plate, however mine does not have this. Will the oil get down to the lower unit from the upper on its own or is there another way to fill this lower unit????

Trent

Captain
Re: oil in the lower unit? I have no separate fill port/screw

I think your looking at the wrong year.<br /><br />The Mercrusier I, Alpha I take about 32 ounces of oil. Fill from the lower unit til it comes out the vent on top. Any more questions.. Trentcr@hotmail.com

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hi there DD, On my 89 merc I/O, I have a vent screw on my upper unit port side. There is a drain screw on the lower unit, port side just above the skag. Pick up a cheap gear lube pump (got mine from Wal-Mart) and pump the lube in from the bottom. Once the lube has started coming out of the vent hole on top, replace the vent screw and then remove your gear lube pump, then replace the drain screw. Without out the pump, it is extremely hard to get the rascal filled properly. Good Luck...

DirtyDicks

Recruit

THANKS! Im off to Walmart!!!!!

Walter

Senior Chief Petty Officer

My 1980 Merc Type 1 drains and fills exactly as SS described. Be sure to use the proper gear lube though...some are not compatible with others.<br /><br />Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.