oil in carb for storage?

72twain16

Recruit
Hello. I'm new to this forum. in fact this is my first post. My Dad has had a 1972 Mark twain 16 ft. Vsonic since 94. It has sat in his barn for the last 10 yrs. After years of bugging him, he finally told me to come get it. The hull has a new floor and gel coat done just before storage. The motor is a 1990 merc. 60 horse outboard with low hours. My dad was told by a marina the repaired the power trim that it was a belgian motor and would not be able to get parts for it after that repair. After talking to the factory I now see that statement was incorrect. It was originally sold in Sturgeon Bay WI.l Anway. I drained the carbs to find an oily substance that didn't smell like old gas. Is there something to put in the carbs like that for storage? either way after draining them I tried starting it and it actually ran like it was used 2 days prior and hasn't skipped a beat. I also replaced the impeller before launching. I worked 10 yrs. as an auto mechanic, and have never seen something sit that long and run like that with no carb work.

jigmister1

Seaman Apprentice
Re: oil in carb for storage?

no expert here but I am assuming the engine is a 2 stroke. if that is the case the oil is probaly from its fuel/oil mixture. the fuel sitting in the carbs evaporates but the oil dose not. so over some time your left with just oil.

j_martin

Admiral

"Mechanics" will say the darndest things to try to cover up their stupidity/frustration.

verado7

Chief Petty Officer

that stuff you found is saying rebuild the carbs before you go out on the water - 10 years of storage = rebuild carbs and fuel pump ( some carbs have fuel pumps on them , some are seperate) change - gear oil, exhaust cover gaskets, water cover/jacket gaskets, thermostats if it has them , squirt a teaspoon of 2 stroke oil in the cylinders and hand turn the engine before you crank it up - if you didn't already it's okay . and last but not least change the water pump ! welcome to boating ( but you'll love every penny you spent on it ) .