oil for 2 stroke

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a johnson 175 2 stroke 6 cylinder. I want to make sure of the right oil for it. Can I use 50:1 outboard oil, or is there a specific brand?

Oldsaltydog

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: oil for 2 stroke

Any NMMA certified TCW-3 two-stroke oil should work. You could check their web site. WalMart sells a brand, made by Shell, at a low discount price. Some people prefer synthetics at more expense and some people, like me, go with a compromise, using a blend of conventional and synthetic oil, like a popular one by Pennzoil. If you look in the archives, under SEARCH, etc., you will find TONS AND TONS discussion on the subject. I hope that we are not about to see a new round of debate starting out -- a dead horse, etc. :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Not that it matters, but I think Wal Mart's SuperTech brand is made by Quaker State/Pennzoil.

Paul Moir

Admiral

Just to beat a dead horse, I pretty sure Canadian Walmart "Tech 2000" (No SuperTech up here) is made by Shell. It's definitly not the same as SuperTech anyway.<br />Geeze, I hope that wasn't a neigh I just heard.<br />EDIT: Never mind, Tech 2000 is not made by Shell either.

LubeDude

Admiral

OK, So as not to beat a dead horse, I wont go there, but there has been a change made in the Wall Mart 2 cycle oil, Ive even heard that it is being made by Warren labs, (Valvoline), it could also be Shell, I really do not know. Someone said that it isnt blue anymore, but a kind of green now, the new stuff anyway. Thats the problem with WallMart oils, you never really know who is making them. Does it really matter? Probably not as long as they have the certification.<br /><br />OK, you new I couldnt do it, Use a synthetic or a synthetic blend, your engine will thank you for it in the future.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, I noticed the last time I was at Wallyworld, that they had Tech 2000 and the SuperTech oil. Wonder if they are converting over to something different, or just putting a new name on it. I didn't see any hype on the new bottles.

dragula65000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw that TECH 2000 garbage. I don't like to trust anything without a brand name. I prefer valvolin above all others, but I can't find a good oil, so I'm going with the TCW-3 synthetic from Pennzoil.

LubeDude

Admiral

Dragula65000:<br /><br />Let us know how you like it, are you changing from regular TC-W3? Be specific.

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner

How do you know the TECH 2000 is garbage? I used the SuperTech oil for over 10 years with no ill effects. Still goin' strong... Do you know who makes it? It's not "TECH 2000"...... And BTW, I do think synthetic oils are better from everything I have read on here.

LubeDude

Admiral

Like Rickdb1boat said, Its not garbage, afterall it is TC-W3 certified which means that it will at lease MEET the minimum standards for engines requiring a TC-W3 oil. Thereare actually quite a few people here on the forum that think it is just fine for there application. We try not to Bash products here on the forum, but if we feel that some other oil will do a better job we do not hesitate to give an opinion and facts if we have them.

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

If a person reads the bottle on the Wally stuff it says it "exceeds" manufacturers requirements. I have used the stuff for quite awhile with no ill effects whatsoever. I am about to run out of my current jug and will buy a bottle of Merc juice to see if there is a difference, but I have this strange feeling the difference will be minimal. Besides, eveybody knows all petroleum products come from a few places anyway, and the labels just jazz it up with a few so-called special ingredients. True synthetics are the only way to go if you really want something truely different.

LubeDude

Admiral

Originally posted by JasonJ:<br /> True synthetics are the only way to go if you really want something truely different.
Now thats what I like to hear! :D <br /><br />I guess you said "different", Not "Better". Oh well its a start.<br /><br />Why arent you using a synthetic in your engine?

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

I guess it just never crosses my mind. I must admit that as long as it is running properly I don't really worry about all the different options. I don't run massive distances or for long periods of time, but I do run it at least once a week during the usable season. I don't know, I guess I just want to fish, and the less money I spend on oil, the more I can spend on gas to get out fishin'. I do want to do some experimenting this year though.<br /><br />By "different", I was refering to all the various regular 2 stroke oils. I know the synthetics are better. I just know somewhere in my gut that, like gas is all the same from brand to brand (I just saw a special on that) that 2 stroke oil is pretty much the same from brand to brand. Yeah, they may add a few ingredients here and there, but in the end as long as it is certified, it works fine regardless of brand. The big brands aren't expensive due to amazing engineering, its because they can put their name on it and charge what they want to.

Darryl34

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Go with a brand name,Pennzoil,Valvoline,Q/state if your not sure.Make sure it has the tcw-3 specs. on it,and use the outboard motor type only,not the chainsaw/motorcycle type. my opinion.