Oil, fluids, and grease questions...sorry!

SWFLTom

Cadet
2000 Merc 3.0 Alpha 1 Gen2<br /><br />About to change the oil. After reading many threads here, and this oil page on Mercury's site, I have come to the conclusion that Castrol HD 40 would be ok to run. If I'm wrong, please correct me.<br /><br />I am a bit low on tilt fluid. Can anyone tell me if power steering fluid is kosher to use here?<br /><br />I also need some info on lubing the out drive. I count 3 fittings. One right by the transom on the starboard side, and one on each side by the tilt parts. How can you tell when they are full? I'm used to seeing some grease come out when I lube my truck and the trailer.<br /><br />Thanks and sorry for the oil questions!<br /><br />Tom

Laddies

Banned
Re: Oil, fluids, and grease questions...sorry!

This should start the oil debate again, I use 40 HD in the boats that I service unless the owner has a differant preferance, Over the years Mercury has recommended almost any type of oil for the trims (as long as it was liquid) I user dextron II. The zert next to the tramsom 5 or 6 pumps the other 2 maybe 1/2 to much grease on the swivial pins can ruin the trim senders--Bob

tommays

Admiral

most of the trim pumps use motor oil it should have a tag<br /><br />the single fitting on the shield gets gimble bearing grease<br /><br />the tilt ones get 2-4-C<br /><br /><br />theres one inside the boat really hard to get to lubes the drive shaft spline with SPLINE LUBE<br /><br />ya gotta love it 3 different greases and they are really different<br /><br />
f4702a93.jpg
<br /><br /><br />this is my basic pile of stuff you need to do the DIY maintance<br /><br />tommays

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The Gen II trim pumps have always use 10W-30 oil.<br /><br />Here is a Merc owners manual that should help answer your questions.<br /><br /> Owners Manual

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That synthetic oil you are talking about is only there for one reason, and one reason only. That is the VERADO Outboard

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, it is probably the same oil bottled with different labels for the 4 stroke OB and I/Os.