Oil Filters

Timrp

Cadet
Can anyone out there tell me the Fram Oil filter number for a 1996 3.0l Mercruiser?

ron7000

Banned
Re: Oil Filters

if it's the same as a late model 3.0L,<br /><br />oem short length is ph30<br />the longer length are ph5, ph13, hp4.<br /><br />Filter is 13/16" x 16 NPT thread and o-ring diameter is 3.25"

crazy charlie

Vice Admiral

Now that you have the number,you should cross reference it to better quality filter and do yourself a BIG favor.Charlie

Manipulator

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What about the cheap ole Wally World filters (Super Tech)? I use them and their oil because I am a tightwad. I have used there oil and filters in my cars that have gone 150K-200K and I never had engine sludge build up and or engine problems other than routine maintenance. I had a Dodge Shadow in college and I drove the **** out of it. My little brother has it now and he has neglected the hell out of it. My dad still changes the oil on it and uses the same Wal-Mart products and its still runs great without any problems. Those products say they meet or exceed manufactures requirements. If that is the case, and Fram does too, how can they be that bad?<br /><br /> I change my boat oil three times a season (every 50-60 hours).

whywhyzed

Banned

as far as filter brands go.... it's a bad case of this:<br />
deadhorse.gif
<br /><br />but I have cut many automotive filters open to inspect the contruction and most are cosmetic at best. Donaldson are very impressive, but I got a cheapo WIx in a Donaldson box once, so even that's not guaranteed.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

hystat:<br />Do you really think WIX'S filter are bad?<br />We cut about 5 differnt types apart and found wix's to be the best. Where do you get Donaldson filters at? I have a 5.o OMC inboard outboard. I'll give them a try. :D <br />Thank's<br />BEEF

f_inscreenname

Commander

I always look for a filter with a strong case. A couple paint scratches and some saltwater on the cheep ones and you may end up with a leak.

jbh350

Seaman Apprentice

I am curious as to what information you have to back your comments up about the quality of Fram oil filters. Yes, I realize we all have seen the cut open oil filters in the auto parts store, but what exactly dose that tell you? It tells you nothing about the quality of the filter. How do I know this? I am a product engineer for a company called H&V (Hollingsworth & Vose). We make the filter media for 95% of all filter manufactures in the world. And I am here to tell ya that Fram has the most efficient media on the market. They have designed the best media and they have a patent on it unlike any of the other manufactures. Remember the media is the most important part of the filter.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

Oh ferchrissakes, not the Fram crap again. Some disgruntled old Fram worker wrote some BS letter about Fram being made with toilet paper or something, and the rest of the sheep think its true. I tossed my Fram after 3000 miles (150,000 Astro Van) in my lathe and cut it open, Heres a pic, crap (carbon particles) where its supposed to be, filter media fine, zero problems. I use Fram in all my rides, and always will. And that includes a 20 year old Harley thats been more places than most people who post useless, wrong info based on rumor.
PICT0002-1.jpg
ave.

THE BEEF

Chief Petty Officer

Thank's Hoot<br />I found this pretty intresting<br />Beef :cool:

Mile-High Mariner

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay, noone else seems to be curious, so I'll ask the obvious question: who manufactures the OEM oil filters for Mercruiser?

fseries

Seaman Apprentice

you may want to do yourself a favor and stay away from frams all together

Richard Petersen

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ANY brand of filter is ok. As long as you do not get the RARE defect. Does anyone actually believe companies design a shi# one? If you do believe that you have less brains the the filter.

garycinn

Chief Petty Officer

My 2 cents on marine oil filters ;) :<br /><br />www.oilfilterstudy.com<br /><br />BTW, the Merc's that I studied appeared to be Champion made.<br /><br />Currently, I am running Hastings LF279.

jrbtech

Cadet

garycinn, can I use that on my 91 mercruiser 3.0? I have a 91 Stingray.<br /><br /><br />I'm a noob boater, just got my first boat last spring. 91 Mercruiser 3.0L. <br /><br />Thanks for the great site!