oil filters

427hawk

Seaman
its time to change the oil in the ol pickup again and was about to go to the store to pick up oil and filter , rembering a topic that was brought up here,bout fram oil filters and there credibility ,so what does everyone suggest ?????

TexSkeeter150

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: oil filters

I second Mobil 1. I use them but they are expensive. For the price you can not beat the purolators. They have had great reviews. If you see any FRAM's turn and run away as fast as you can.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Wix filters are my first choice, AC delco a close second for my chevy.. Wix or Motorcraft for my ford boat engine..<br /><br />As for oil, I like the real thing... No synthetics for me.. Havoline or valvoline..

ZmOz

Captain

Yeah, definately stay as far away as you can from the Fram's...I allways use Purolator filters myself.

LubeDude

Admiral

Napa Gold (Wix) are great for the money, Purolator Pure one is also good, There is NO doubt that the Mobil 1 is a good filter but overpriced! And, Last but certainly not least is the SuperTech from walmart (Made by Chanpion Labs) and not a bad filter!<br /><br />If you want to get the skinny on oil and filters, go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and find the forum. everything you ever wanted to know and some you didnt! Carefull, its habbit forming!!

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

A 1995 article about aviation engines that burn leaded gas. Apples & oranges and a bit out of date.

Trent

Captain

Maybe, but you could not pour that stuff on me. Iv seen several Dodge Trucks that used that kind of oil this past year and they had to replace the engines.. Under 50,000 miles. Sludge!! I think Lubedude said somthing about that? I think the problem was to small of oil gallaries?? Anyway..Havoline or valvoline.. Works great. No problems for over 30 years!<br /><br />Also the LAWYERS are not done yet! :(

LubeDude

Admiral

The mobil Drive clean regular Dino oil is not a very good oil by todays standards! However the Mobil1 Synthetics are very good and are only rivaled buy Amsoil and Redline! Others are coming up short but are still better than conventional oils! To bad mouth Mobil1 is a serious lack of intelegence! I do not mean that in that you are not a brite guy, only uninformed on oils!

ndemge

Commander

I quit using fram from what I read on this list.<br /><br />I grew up with my dad using WIX. That is all the used in his ship. but when I started doing my own, wix wasn't available, so just grabbed fram because of the name regognition.... that all changed. I grab ac or wix now.

Trent

Captain

I will post tommorrow if I can Lubedude. My first question is this? What does the "W" in 10w40 oil mean? Your right I did mispost and I see that but Iv got to go. We will kick this around maybe tommorrw. Wife's Bday....got to go.

LubeDude

Admiral

Schematic is right!<br /><br />Using a 10W-40 oil isnt advisable either as they have to much of a spread, this is made up with viscosity improvers and they tend to break down fast and cause sludge buildup! Some manufacturers will void the warentee if 10W-40 is used! This is only the case with regular oils!

walleyehed

Admiral

VII....viscosity index improvers...the chemical used in ALL dino oils, and it's made by Dupont.<br />FYI: It takes 200% more VII for 10W40 than it does for 10W30...Hence the warranty issue with using 10W40.<br />We received a service Bullettin from GM in 1984 recommending to discontinue the use of 10W40 oils in their products....still have it pinned up on the wall for those to see that don't believe.......<br />Oh yea, filters.....Baldwin (hastings)-no standard filter manufacturer will include the Baldwin filter in their testing because they know they can't touch it.