Oil filter relocation kit. or changing technique?

Paulinct

Cadet
Anybody know of any aftermarket oil relocation kits I can look into.(online?) I really hate having to play twister with my engine just to change the oil. :eek: Not to mention the mess in the bilge :) . Anyone have any techniques they use instead.

D

DJ

Re: Oil filter relocation kit. or changing technique?

Paul,<br /><br />MerCruiser and Volvo both offer those kits. Aftermarket, I don't know.

andrewgroup

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't know if you have the room, but I cut off the bottom 6 - 8 inches of a 2 ltr, coke bottle, I crack the filter loose, I slide the plastic bottle up over the filter and squeeze the bottle onto the filter and continue spinning until the filter falls into the 2 ltr bottle....I little maneuevering out and under the front of the engine, voila....<br /><br />My uncle always said, "poor folks got poor ways."

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

I use a pressurized-type hose you can buy at Overton's for about $35. It replaces the fitting on the oil drain pan----you run the hose out your bilge drain hole, warm up the motor, pop the cap off the end of the hose, and let it drain into a bucket outside the boat.

Skinsk

Petty Officer 2nd Class

You could also use a drill pump, and simply run the hose down the dip stick tube. <br /><br />Scott..

Paulinct

Cadet

ddboater I didnt know Overtons had stuff like that. The drill pump is ok but I like the idea of the hose being attached. (no climbing out of the boat when u leave the drill in the shed ha ha). But the no matter what the filter is still filled to the brim with oil and you have to maneuver it out.

Doug Durako

Chief Petty Officer

Paulinct----my filter is within reach and fairly easy----I just don't have any room under the motor. Good luck!

Bondo

Staff member

There are remote mount kits ava. everywhere....<br />Mine isn't Toooo Bad to get to... I just crack the filter loose, then slip a Qt. sized zip-lock baggie around it, Spin it off, Zip the bag shut,+ Remove....<br />Same with the Fuel Filter....

boater4life

Petty Officer 2nd Class

After I install my new filters I put small magnets on the bottom side of the filters to collect any metal particales. The next filter change, I put them on the new filters.<br /><br />
20033206783378533421461.jpg