Oil Extractor Pump Recommendation

DodgeRod

Cadet
Looking for opinions on oil extractor pumps. Done a little research, read some older posts in the forum. I have a 20ft 93 Stingray with a 4.3 mercruiser. My brother in law recommended the Suckup, I've seen Mueller, Pela, Mityvac, and West Marine. Thanks for your help. I really enjoy the iBoats forum.

lamphega

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oil Extractor Pump Recommendation

I find the Mityvac very handy for getting oil out of my Mercruiser inline 6. Of course after oil is warmed up. Also have used with multiple lawn mowers and other light and medium duty equipment and purging brakes.

Leardriver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I use a one gallon Shopvac. They are about $35. I use it only for oil, brake fluid, power steering fluid, etc.
It is about 100 times more powerful than a hand held. I store it in a plastic bag, because it gets dirty.

Stick a 3-4 foot piece of clear plastic tube into the suction hose, wrap duct tape around that junction to seal it, and slurp any fluid out effortlessly thru the plastic tube. That is how you adapt the size down to fit it in oil extraction port.

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade

For my 4.3 that was in the Maxum, this is the 12v one I used from Seachoice. Not the quickest but worked fine and also used it for sucking tranny fluid out of my car:
Seachoice 19171 12V Portable Oil Change Pump - Oil Change Pumps by Discount Marine Supplies

For the Sea Ray and the big block 7.4 the Seachoice did not have the suction for the longer pull so I ended up using this manual pump from WM. Again was not the quickest and the included hose that goes into the dipstick tube was not long enough so I had to buy a longer piece but ended up working fine and sucked it all out.
WEST MARINE Manual Oil Changer - 6.9 Quart at West Marine

Mark

DodgeRod

Cadet

Thanks for all the help, leaning toward the west marine or Mityvac. Even though the brother inlaw recommended the suckup, I haven't seen any reviews of it.

oldsub86

Petty Officer 1st Class

[MBZ] $2 oil sucker

If you already have a shopvac and have electrical power at the dock, you could use the $2 oil sucker like the old Mercedes diesel folks do.

Randy

wrench 3

Commander

If your handy, I use an old engine oil pump, welded a piece of pipe to the discharge, a standard garden hose hooked to the intake couples to the fitting on the dipstick tube. Chuck an electric drill to the pump and the oil's out in no time. You do need an oil resistant gasket for the garden hose coupler.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

The Moeller 5L size works for anything. They are so far above the competitors, its unbelievable. A couple pumps and the oil comes out by itself. Stores the old oil so you can put it back in the new containers to take for recycling. Some sell it under another trade name - "Oil Boy". If you ever used another and tried this you would never switch back.

Moeller Marine Online - Fluid Extractors