OIL EMERGENCY SWITCH PROBLEM

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I HAVE A 1990 115HP ETLD MOTOR. I FINALLY SOLVED MY RUNNING PROBLEMS FROM LAST YEAR.
IT TOOK A NEW FUEL PUMP, BALL AND HOSE, ONE NEW COIL, AND SPARK PLUGS TO GET IT RUNNING AT 45 MPH AT 55-5800 RPM ON A 19p PROP.
MOTOR WAS ORIGINALLY OIL INJECTED AND I HAD REMOVED OIL PUMP DRIVE SHAFT, OIL RESERVOIR,
AND LINES AND PLUGGED OIL PUMP HOSE.
HERE'S THE PROBLEM:
BOAT HAS RUN GREAT UNTIL THIS WEEKEND WHEN I THOUGHT I WOULD REMOVE THE OIL EMERGENCY SWITCH FROM ENGINE. I MOUNTED THE TWO GROUND WIRES THAT WERE GROUNDED ON THE BODY OF THE SWITCH DIRECTLY TO THE BLOCK.
WHEN I TOOK THE BOAT OUT, IT STARTED GREAT, RAN GREAT UNTIL I HIT 5000 RPM AT 40MPH. IT MADE A POPPING SOUND AND THEN STALLED WHEN I BACKED OFF THE THROTTLE. MOTOR RESTARTED MANY TIMES AFTER BUT ONLY FOR 15 -30 SECONDS. WHEN PUT IN DRIVE IT STALLED AGAIN. TRIED PUMPING THE BALL WHILE RUNNING TO NO AVAIL THINKING MAYBE LACK OF GAS. TOOK BOAT HOME AND PUT THE EMERGENCY OIL SWITCH BACK ON MOTOR AND HOOKED UP WIRING HARNESS. IT STARTED IMMEDIATELY AND RAN GREAT FOR AT LEAST 10 MINUTES. PUT IT IN BOTH FORWARD AND REVERSE GEAR AND IT STILL RAN GREAT. SHUT IT OFF AND STARTED AGAIN WITH JUST A TURN OF THE KEY. LET IT SIT ANOTHER 15 MINUTES AND IT STILL STARTED. DISCONNECTED THE SWITCH WIRING HARNESS AND MOTOR RAN JUST AS GOOD AS IT DID WITH HARNESS ATTACHED.
BIG QUESTION:
IS THERE A WIRE ON THE EMGERGENCY OIL SWITCH THAT CONTROLS THE WAY THE MOTOR RUNS ?
IF NOT, WHERE DO I LOOK TO SOLVE THIS PROBLEM?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: OIL EMERGENCY SWITCH PROBLEM

what color wires did you ground? there are no wires that shut the motor down, the emergency switch,when toggled, places a ground on the blue wire to the oil pump.
its normally an open switch.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

THERE WERE TWO BLACK GROUND WIRES EXTERNAL TO THE OIL CONTROL/EMERGENCY SWITCH THAT WERE GROUNDED ON ONE OF THE MOUNTING BOLTS FOR THE CONTROL UNIT. WHEN I TOOK THE UNIT OFF, I SHORTENED ONE OF THE BOLTS AND MOUNTED THE GROUND WIRES RIGHT TO THE BLOCK.
I DO NOT HAVE THE GUAGES OR INDICATING LIGHTS FOR THE OIL SYSTEM ON MY BOAT AND THEIR PLUGS WERE JUST SITTING LOOSE IN THE MOTOR.
I DIDN'T THINK TAKING THE CONTROL/EMGERGENCY SWITCH UNIT OFF THE MOTOR WOULD CAUSE ME ANY PROBLEM. IT LOOKED LIKE THE SAME NUMBER AND COLOR OF WIRES OFF THE CONTROL UNIT WENT TO THE PLUGS NOT BEING USED.

WHEN I REMOUNTED THE CONTROL UNIT AND PLUGGED THE MAIN HARNESS (7 WIRE ONE) BACK IN,
THE MOTOR STARTED FINE AND RAN GREAT. BUT WHEN I UNPLUGGED IT, IT RAN THE SAME.
I AM GOING TO TAKE IT BACK OUT TONIGHT FOR ANOTHER WATER TEST, BUT NOW I AM CONCERNED BECAUSE YOU HAVE CONFIRMED MY SUSPICIAN THAT THE WIRING FROM THE CONTROL UNIT SHOULD NOT AFFECT THE RUNNING OF THE MOTOR. AND NOW I AM AT A POINT WHERE I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO LOOK NEXT.

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt, I took a look at the two ground wires that were mounted on the control/emergency switch bolt. One is from the control unit at top of motor near carb cover. the other is from the solenoid? just below it.

I followed the wires out of the emerg.switch and they all correspond with the two unused plugs I was telling you about other than the one plug picked up a black with red stripe wire from somewhere.

Another quick question: my seloc manual for 1984 -1988 and stickered saying valid to 1991 models says my motor is not supposed to have a YMIS. Between the two heads at the back of the motor is a black plastic covered box enclosing a 3"x4" plastic box that is marked Hitachi CU2481. Is this a microcomputer. And if so, where do I go to get proper information on the motor I have?

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Rodbolt, I took a look at the two ground wires that were mounted on the control/emergency switch bolt. One is from the control unit at top of motor near carb cover. the other is from the solenoid? just below it.

I followed the wires out of the emerg.switch and they all correspond with the two unused plugs I was telling you about other than the one plug picked up a black with red stripe wire from somewhere.

Another quick question: my seloc manual for 1984 -1988 and stickered saying valid to 1991 models says my motor is not supposed to have a YMIS. Between the two heads at the back of the motor is a black plastic covered box enclosing a 3"x4" plastic box that is marked Hitachi CU2481. Is this a microcomputer. And if so, where do I go to get proper information on the motor I have?

2MADAKAT

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I put the oil emergency switch/control unit back on, plugged it into main harness and the motor ran like a top.
I will take the easy way out now and just leave it on for good.

Ray Neudecker

Lieutenant Commander

That is the correct ecu for a 90 and later motor. If the oil injection is working properly, you should use it. While you are still on mixed gas pull the lines loose one at a time at the carb intake and be sure they are putting out oil.
Another case where the aftermarket manual is wrong.