oil dripping from engine

michaelb

Cadet
I had my boat out of the water last week, and I noticed a small oil spot (3" diameter) that had appeared under the skegg of one of my outboards overnight. I have determined that the oil is not coming from the prop shaft seal or any other part of the lower unit. It appears to be draining down from the powerhead via the exhaust.<br /><br />Something that’s probably related is that when this engine is tilted up for a period (2-3 days), I have to lower the engine and wait 5 or 10 minutes before the engine will start. If I don't, and the engine finally does start, there is so much white/light gray smoke I can't even see the engine.<br /><br />Any thoughts on why the oil is accumulating in the engine?<br /><br />Thanks, Michaelb

sloopy

Commander
Re: oil dripping from engine

it would help to know the make, the horse power<br />the age the modle number and serial number and if it is a two stroke :) if it is a two stroke it souns normal :)

michaelb

Cadet

1997<br />Mercury 175<br />oil injection<br />carbureted<br />model: 175 CXL (counter rotation)<br />serial: 0G559559<br /><br />Thanks

icwebpeople

Petty Officer 2nd Class

float may be stuck. also unhook fuel line from the tank when not in use. fuel expands,causing preasure

michaelb

Cadet

I agree with the unburned oil. That is what it appears to be. Any ideas on how I can stop this problem? It only occurs on one engine as the other is fine. The oil drip does bother me, but the hard starting is a pain.<br /><br />Thanks, Michaelb