oil drain plug

madmark

Cadet
I have a 1985 Suzuki DT-115 with a slight problem. The hole on the lower unit where the oil drain plug screws in is stripped out to the point where the plug will barely catch and hold. I talked to a local dealer and ran past him a couple of options for a repair. I am looking for oponions from the expert on this board whos oponion I respect.<br /><br />One way was to drill and tap the hole to the next bigger size, but what size would that be?<br /><br />The next way would be to drill and tap the hole to a tapered thread and install a pipe plug.<br /><br />My local dealer said the pipe plug idea sounded good to him. What do you think?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: oil drain plug

A third way would be to drill out and tap the hole for a thread insert, like a helicoil, Riverskier. Then use a standard drain plug.<br /><br />That is what I would do.<br /><br />By the way, welcome to iboats. Hope to see more of you here.<br /><br />Good luck. :)

madmark

Cadet

Thanks for the reply. Yes, Ihad also considered a helicoil, but what do you think of the pipe plug idea?

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

hello<br /> drill it,helicoil it and it will be happy. can the pipe plug<br /> not good at all.<br /> good luck and keep posting