Oil Drain Plug Stuck!!

CuttingEdgeNY

Seaman Apprentice
This is the first time i'm giving my new project boat motor an oil change. It's a 1976 Chrysler 360 5.9L Inboard. I tried to take the oil drain plug off, but it's totally stuck. I tried to use wrenches and sockets at first, then I moved on to a pipe wrench, put all my weight on it and it still won't come off. Is there a tool or a trick to get these drain plugs out? I don't care about saving it, i will just replace it as soon as I get it out.
Thanks again,
Ken

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Re: Oil Drain Plug Stuck!!

36 inch Snap On half inch drive breaker bar....... That and making sure your twisting the right way. It's still leftly loosey righty tighty... but usually your upside down.
Or you can just suck the oil through the dipstick tube and leave the plug in.

dazk14

Ensign
Re: Oil Drain Plug Stuck!!

+1 Suck it up through the dipstick tube. Your bilge will thank you. I use a kitchen garbage bag to hold the 3 tube it comes with - there could be a few drips out of a used tube.

Moeller makes one for about $50 bucks and it includes a storage tank and hand pump - no electric motor to fail (been there done that).

Can suck up cool oil, but flies if warm/hot. I've changed on the water (no filter) in minutes.