oil consumption tohatsu 115

grandepiacere

Recruit
Hi

Hoping someone can shine some light on this. My 2001 115 HP (model M115A2 3J6) two stroke Tohatsu seems to be consuming too much oil and running rough as a result. Oil deposits are visible on new plugs even after a few minutes of running.

Compression is 135psi across all four cylinders. I hooked up an external tank to the engine with pre-mix gas, disconnected the oil line from the fuel pump and measured the output of oil at 1500 RPM. The result was 6ml in 4 minutes. This would be equivalent to 22.5 ml in 15 minutes. Is this normal? Does anyone have any numbers for this engines oil consumption?

Engine seems to be running rough in general. Carbs are clean, no stuck floats or needles. The idle mixture screw is set at about 1 and 1/2 turns on each carb. Oil deposits are even on all plugs. Exhaust smells fuel rich, but if I cut back on idle mix adjustments engine runs rougher.

The only adjustment to the oil pump operation appears to be via the linkage to the throttle arm. If I were to tighten this linkage I think it would have the effect of reducing the oil consumption as designers intended at higher RPMS.

Comments from others appreciated.

Thanks.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: oil consumption tohatsu 115

OIl consumption rate and how to adjust it can be found in your service manual.

grandepiacere

Recruit
Re: oil consumption tohatsu 115

I have not yet received the service manual I ordered, so if anyone out ther has a service manual for the 115 tohatsu and can find info there please let me know.