oil coming out of exaust

cvstucco

Cadet
I have a 2002 mercury 225 saltwater. I just had the impeller replaced and got the boat home, put on the ears and turned the water on and started the motor, it smoked alot and I noticed oil or grease/water mixture coming out of the exaust . i then turned the motor and water off and then seen the same oozing out of the two pee holes. what could be the problem?

gss036

Commander
Re: oil coming out of exaust

Sounds like oil residue build up in the exhaust. Maybe time for a serious decarb.

cvstucco

Cadet

The motor only has 21 hours on it, It has been sitting for most of its life. i had a new fuel pump put on it and a new impeller, new plugs and changed all fluids. could it be just fro storage or maybe the grease from over packing the impeller?

gss036

Commander

No grease used in the impeller. Maybe somebody was smart enough to do do a heavy fogging job on the engine before putting it in storage. If you have a portable tank, mix a couple cans of SeaFoam with a couple gallons of fuel, add oil if not injected, and take it out and cruise for a few minutes at low speed, let it sit and restart it and then do it again. Then run it for 10-15 minutes at about 1/2 throttle. You should get a "LOT" of white smoke. Hopefully this will clean it out.
Pretty common problem.

cvstucco

Cadet

Thanks for the info. I hope this is all it is. The motor runs fine but does have a small miss in it. Thanks buddy!