oil changing on inboard motors.

nramil

Cadet
I have a 1987 Malibu Skier. It has a 351 direct-drive engine (that's what they say). I want to do my on tuneup and oil change. Do you have to get a pump to pump the oil or can it drain down the hull to the center drain plug of the hull. Also, what else should I do besides oil change and spark plugs. I am pretty much inclined to do anything with proper instructions. Thanks,

tommays

Admiral
Re: oil changing on inboard motors.

Draining would be a mess you will never forget :(

Generaly it is pumped out of the dipstick after warming up the motor with water connected

Tommays

salty87

Commander

an oil extractor like the one made by tempo helps alot. it uses vacuum pressure to suck the oil out the dipstick. you'll also want to run the engine either in the lake or on the hose in the driveway to warm the oil so it flows quicker. otherwise, it will take a while to get it all out.

you might need to do your impeller too depending on how old it is. you might want to consider a tune-up kit in addition to the spark plugs depending on when it was done last.

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Tips from a beginner, it takes a while to warm the oil up, far longer than it took for the engine to show normal operating temperature. 2nd tip, drain the oil into an old oil can so you can measure when you have it all out rather than guess. 3rd tip , I brought a hand pump boy is that a pain, I would pay the extra for electric.

Regards

Chris

nramil

Cadet

Thanks for all the info. I just purchased the boat so don't really know what was done last I think I may just pay my local mechanic that quoted me $200 for the tune up. Is that expensive? I figure I let him tune it and and watch and invest in a electric pump and do it myself next time. How often to you do a tuneup. I just purchased the boat 3 months ago and have been in the lake 2 times a week and about 4-6hr/per day. Should I be lubricating something after each use???

Thanks again for the info.

kimchee

Seaman

Well, I am kinda a newbie at this and have NO experience with the automatic electric pumps, but I can say that I bought 1 hand pump which was an absolute waste of money... Then people told me about the tempo pump... I strongly recommend this one, the mechanic at my marina also uses this one.... And I find it relatively easy to use... I think it costs less than $75... As far as $200, I recommend you learn how to do it yourself... Cuz, an oil change and tune-up is the A in the ABCs of getting familiar with the mechanics of your boat...

cmyers_uk

Senior Chief Petty Officer

If you want to work on your own engine is is well worth investing in the official manuals rather than the selco / clymer manuals. The manuals explain what needs to be done after what hours etc, they tell you what to do to winterise and give troubleshooting procedures. I have found mine invaluable.