oil change and pressure test stringer?

ljbarry

Cadet
I am new to outdrive this is my first boat. Where can i get the fittings for a pressure test for an 86 OMC "stringer" I think it is a 400. It has a GM 2.5 in it. What oil should I put in and what do I use to get it in there. I have heard to pump it up from the bottom. I am asking because I am getting milky oil in the top half of my outdrive. How hard are the seals and ball gears to change?

KaGee

Admiral
Re: oil change and pressure test stringer?

I am new to outdrive this is my first boat. Where can i get the fittings for a pressure test for an 86 OMC "stringer" I think it is a 400.

Most of us have robbed the fitting off of one of those lower unit oil pump kits.

It has a GM 2.5 in it. What oil should I put in and what do I use to get it in there. I have heard to pump it up from the bottom.
Use any branded hi-vis lower unit gear oil.

I am asking because I am getting milky oil in the top half of my outdrive.
Time to consider a reseal. Pressure check is in order.

How hard are the seals and ball gears to change?
That is a very subjective question. It can be moderate to extremely difficult if the bolts that hold it all together are corroded in place.

From your post, I believe you don't have a service manual. Get one before you proceed and become accustomed to your setup and some of the basic procedures and terminology.

Good luck!