Oil capacity for 5.0L Ford in 1995 Chaparral

chicojerry

Recruit
What is the correct oil capacity for a 5.0 L Ford engine in a 1995 Chaparral?

The Owner's Manual says the crankcase capacity of the 5.0 liter engine is 5 quarts or 6 quarts with a filter. However, I sucked all of the oil out via a hose attached to the top of the dipstick - also ran a hose all the way down the dipstick into the crankcase to be sure I got it all. Changed the filter. After putting 4 quarts of oil in the engine, the oil level on the dipstick is at the full mark. One more quart (for a total of 5 quarts) puts it well above the full mark. I haven't run it yet to fill the filter but even if the filter took a full quart, a total of five quarts would put it at the full mark, not six. When I bought the boat last fall (the engine was running so the filter was full), the oil level was also well above the full mark (I assume they went by the owner's manual and just added six quarts).

So ... does this engine take five quarts (with a filter change) or six quarts (with a filter change)? If six, why would the oil register very high on the dipstick (it is the correct part number)?

Kainon

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Oil capacity for 5.0L Ford in 1995 Chaparral

not to be a smart *****, One reason would be that you didn't fully remove all of the oil. If you want to know for sure remove as much as you can like you did before, then remove the oil pan plug ( into a tray ), add a Oil rain Hose kit, then add oil. No spec on '95 5.0L Ford in a Chap, only with the engine, and could be either a 5qt or 6qt, depends on the pan.

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Oil capacity for 5.0L Ford in 1995 Chaparral

not to be a smart *****, One reason would be that you didn't fully remove all of the oil. If you want to know for sure remove as much as you can like you did before, then remove the oil pan plug ( into a tray ), add a Oil rain Hose kit, then add oil. No spec on '95 5.0L Ford in a Chap, only with the engine, and could be either a 5qt or 6qt, depends on the pan.

My oil pan on my 351w is a 4qt oil pan. Dunno about on yours.