oil buzzer warning 89 model 100hp

fd203

Cadet
Just a quick question,I have an 89 100hp 4 cylinder merc. with about 125 hours on it but it has sat in my dads garage for about 8 years now when I start it my oil warning buzzer is beeping, I was wondering if there is any way to test the float in the oil resvoire. or what wires to disconnect to shut the warning buzzer off. my mechanic told me if I remove any wires that it would also effect the oil injection pump and would burn my motor up. Im so new at the whole outboard gig he could have told anything and I would believe him. he also advised me to buy a new oil tank becuase the sensor inside cannot be replaced? is that correct? and if I just need the oil tank does it come with a new float or just tank itself. thanks for any info.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Re: oil buzzer warning 89 model 100hp

The sensor consists of a float shaped like a donut around a peg of sorts deep inside the tank. The float has a magnet that triggers a switch inside the peg. There are two blue wires coming out of the bottom of the oil tank for that switch. Disconnect one and see what happens.

You can't replace the float. You have to replace the tank. You can replace the switch. It's remotely possible that the switch is the failure, but it never seems to be.

I don't advise this, but many oprate with the blue wires disconnected. That makes it posssible to run out of oil without ever knowing it. At least not the easy way. The alarm sounds when the oil gets to about a quarter tank. You could safely operate for hours yet. Most people do not go through one whole tank of oil in a year. So they fill it in the spring and check occasionally. It's a gamble.

Your fuel pump will need to be rebuilt. Diaphragm kits are cheap. You shuld rebuild the water pump too. I'm also concerned about the oil pump drive gear. The one on the crankshaft is plastic and the one it drives is metal. Over such a long period of sitting, it could be rusty. That rust could damage the plastic one. Premix your fuel at 50:1 for awhile to make sure you have plenty of lubrication. It'll smoke. But if the oil stops pumping you're in deep sh...