Ohio Watercraft Patrol Rant

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral
This past Saturday seemed to be a record number of boats on Pleasant Hill Lake. I observed the following violations occuring:<br /><br />Small children not wearing PFD's<br />Consistant speeding in No Wake Zone<br />Parking in seasonal dock slips<br />Littering in the water<br />Airborne wake jumping by pwc's<br />A lot of intoxicated skippers<br />Skippers following directly behind skiers/tubers<br />Fireworks being set off from boats (DANGEROUS)<br /><br />It was just a mess. Wife and I took a small cruise around the lake and I was glad to get back to the dock. However I couldn't dock because someone tied up to it. Called the marina on VHF, but no answer. Finally called the Park Ranger on the cell. After 45 minuets they came to help with the situation of the illegally parked vessel. The owner told them he didn't know it belonged to somebody. Yeah right, the only slip with a dock locker, occupied sign, and a step for getting in/out of my boat. <br /><br />I was just curious if other Ohio boaters have experienced the same lack of watercraft patrols on other lakes in the state as well.<br /><br />Is this part of the govenors cut backs? If this is, he is a stupid idiot and those that voted him into office. :mad: I'm going to send my comments to ODNR watercraft division to find some answers. <br /><br />The lake was like a big free for all. One year this happened and a couple of boaters died do to it. Hope nobody else has to loose their life because of cut backs in the state capital. <br /><br />Any other comments would be appreaciated on other inland waterways concerning patrols. Thanks....

BrianFD

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ohio Watercraft Patrol Rant

SS,<br />Here is the ODNR's homepage (I keep it in my list of favorites):<br /><br /> ODNR-Watercraft <br /><br />Write them an email! I was impressed with how soon I received a reply.<br /><br />Like you, I've noticed a lack of ODNR on my home lake, Buckeye L. When I do see 'em, they're working hard (busting speeders in the no-wake, writing tickets to PWC riders without PFDs, giving 'free' boat inspections, etc.), but I don't know what their schedules are, or the logic behind any 'cut-backs'.<br />There is an increase in the sheer number of boaters there, as well. It's getting pretty bad out on the weekends, so I've been taking to boating more during the week (after work), and on-early, off-early on the weekends.<br />And you're right about the governor... what a dolt! (I vote, therefore I'm allowed to express my opinion, lol!)

Stratosfied

Ensign

I don't know about Ohio, but the other day on 'Cops' (ya know Bad boys Bad Boys).. they were filming in Pitttsburg, and they rode with some of the deputies who were on the water patrol. All I can say is that they take the responsibility VERY seriously.<br /><br />Here in AL, most of the time on the rivers/lakes, if they are patroled at all, it will be a state conservation officer.

Skinnywater

Commander

I was stopped last weekend by a Sheriff patrol boat. He gave me a warning for speeding.<br /><br />The law in this state is within 200 foot of an occupied beach or any dock that has a boat, the speed is 5mph. A very good law, and I told him so.<br />I also thanked him for enforcing it.<br /><br />I also explained to him that he was stationary in the middle of the river as I blew by him on the opposite side of the beach. And that he was approx. 100 yards from the beach and by my close approximation I was nearly 150 yards from the beach.<br />He then directed me to shore.<br />He checked all my equipment and paperwork, icechests, and my CCW. All was in order.<br />At that point I reminded him of an incident that happend 2 miles upriver last year to me.<br /><br />It was when he rounded a bend at full clip in his 26' Jetcraft, a boat 10' and much bigger then mine. There were 5-6 smaller craft Salmon fishing, some were anchored. I was at the bottom of the hole fighting a Salmon when he blew past me 30 yards away. His wake was so severe that my 150qt. icechest slid off my bow area knocking it and my 36" net into the water. I lost the fish and my net. <br />I told him it was obvious that if he was going on a call his lights and siren worked because he had displayed them moments before in front of a beach full of people stopping me.<br /><br />I pointed to my mask, fins and snorkle and told him I'd be happy to swim out in the river off the beach with some fishing line to measure the distance where I was. He said it wouldn't be neccesary and on further evaluation my estimate on the distance was accurate. He also appologised for the incident last year, as he remembered seeing my icechest going overboard, but was to embarrassed to stop.<br />I accepted his appology and shook hands, mistakes happen.<br /><br />In this state, it's well noticed. When the State or Counties need money there will be a marked increase in law enforcement. As they morph into revenuers.

SpinnerBait_Nut

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here at home, the DFW people take their job serious.<br />They patrol the woods and the water.<br /><br />If your doing something wrong, they get you.<br /><br />Sure, they stop and check you ever now and again, but that's a good thing, IMO.<br /><br />The one lake I go to all the time, they all know me and just wave when we pass, but they will stop me from time to time just to check.<br /> ;)