ohhh no.. a hole!

evinice66

Petty Officer 2nd Class
so i was using a niehbors dighy that was made by mercury a little plastic bottom with the inflateable part around it. and im not sure if i did it but one side has leaked out a fair amount of air...maybe a gallon? i feel horrible. is there anything like fix a flat for these things? it would be dang near impossible to find the leak i think, what should i do? thanks.....

SnappingTurtle

Lieutenant
Re: ohhh no.. a hole!

A little soap and water, heavy on the soap, will lead you to the leak. Rub it with a sponge and look for little bubbles.

After than it is just a matter of using the right type of glue, and patch for the inflatables material. Maybe it is leaking at a valve, and there is no puncture.

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

Or maybe it is leaking from the seams or it was like that when you got it. I think you should let your Friend know and let him decide on how to fix it.good Luke

fastroller

Cadet

I had a very small leak in my Zodiac this summer. I soaped all the seams three separate times and could not locate it. I had given up, after I hosed down the boat to remove the soapy residue, I lifted the boat on its side to drain the last bit of water, which is when we heard a whistle coming from the tube along the ground. Sure enough it was the leak! So, if you are having trouble locating the leak, apply pressure to the tubes, which can accomplished as we did, pushing by hand as you go along, or slightly overinflating the tubes. The leak was coming from the seam. I patched over the leak with a round PVC patch that extended a few inches beyond the leak and thought I was was done. Not so, it was still leaking! The problem was that the seam tape under the patch created a minute tunnel between the patch and tube through which the air was still able to escape (travelling along the tape and then out from under the edge of the patch. I thought I had prevented this by making sure I pressed the patch firmly enough along the tape line as I glued it down, but apparently I did not). I solved the problem by AquaSeal-ing over the spot the air was leaking out of edge of patch. Also be aware that sometimes with seam leaks the leak is not actually where the leak is detected along the tape, but the seam is leaking at another location and the air is running under the tape until it escapes.