Oh no! Swim platform bolts--feel' wet inside!

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
On my early spring fit-out I was perfiming the usual inspections..<br /><br />One of the new areas to look at: The through-transom screws holding the swim platform.<br /><br />I pulled the screws to inspect them and GAD! It looks like the stainless fastener actually corroded! Cheap fastener!<br /><br />There are four screws holding the platform to the transom: <br /><br />a. Three above the water line<br />b. One under the water line.<br /><br />I can see the possibility of water intrusion into the bottom fastener hole. Perhaps some wetness on the top one.<br /><br />I spun the drill in the hole--wood looked possibly damp, but not rotted.<br /><br />How do I clean this mess?<br /><br />Do I squirt acetone into the holes? What can I do to dry this mess and pot a new bolt?<br /><br />Your recommendations are GREATLY appreciated.<br /><br />Ken (Red Bank, NJ.)

Luna Sea

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Oh no! Swim platform bolts--feel' wet inside!

Maybe drill some 1/2" holes, that would remove the damp/problematic wood. Then epoxy some 1/2" bushings in there with the right hole size for the hardware. Use fender washers and plenty of goop on the hardware. Use stainless bushing's if the hardware's stainless. Or a non metalic material. You can buy these from McMaster Carr.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Oh no! Swim platform bolts--feel' wet inside!

Great idea! I'll check into this immediately.<br /><br />What's interesting about the stainless fastener under the waterline: It looks like galvanic corrosion hit on the actual threads.<br /><br />Could this be possible?<br /><br />Thank you.<br />Ken