Oh my. Aftermarket Water Pumps.

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Everyone. I posted recently about an overheat problem on an OMC Seadrive 2.7L (225HP V6 Looper.)

Under WOT conditions and slow reverse, I was getting an overheat alarm. Starboard side seems hotter than port side.

All of this happiness started after a WATER PUMP CHANGE in February.

Problem is: I bought a "On Line Special" "OMC Water Pump V6 1987 - 2001, V8, blah blah. " It was a Sierra model.

I tossed the pump in, checked everything out. All looked good. Slap the LU back on and party on.

Pee's pretty well. All seems good from the Tell-tale.

Although at WOT and slow reverse, overheat problems.

The PROPER OEM pump is OMC# 395062. I used a Sierra substitute.

HOW PICKY are these pumps? Are they interchangable? I am afraid I may not have done homework. The housings looked similar.

Anyone have similar troubles?

Any similar experiences?????

ezeke

Supreme Mariner
Re: Oh my. Aftermarket Water Pumps.

I have a 225 and a 140 Looper. I have not had problems with waterpumps, but I change impellers every two seasons. If you have had the impeller out and it is bad, I would certainly let Teleflex/Sierra know about it. Make sure the parts are new when you get them, there are a lot of old ones on the market.

The thermostat systems on the 1988-1992 loopers are really temperamental in my experience and I have had many more problems with those.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i have had problems with sierra impellers, that why i only use oem parts for critical replacement.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

I've never had an issue with a Sierra pump and I've used them in dozens of motors (both impellers alone and complete kits). Only one that went bad within a year, turns out the owner was in the habit of dry starting in the driveway before heading to the ramp.

If you're using yours in salt water, I would look at possible scaling, corrosion, etc. further up the system...

- Scott

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I appreciate this. I am very careful with the starting of the engine. Never dry-starting it. Ever!

'Just weird how the problem suddenly appeared soon after the water pump change.

If anything, I am wondering if the dreaded water-deflectors are swelled. My worry is: Changing water deflectors? How many bolts will I sheer/need to drill-out?

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thermostat question: If they work nicely in the saucepan (disassemble the thermostat, look at the little copper/wax capsule) -- can I assume the thermostat is okay?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

"Everyone. I posted recently about an overheat problem on an OMC Seadrive 2.7L (225HP V6 Looper.)"

"If anything, I am wondering if the dreaded water-deflectors are swelled. My worry is: Changing water deflectors? How many bolts will I sheer/need to drill-out?"

There are no water deflectors in the loopers, so not much of a concern.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

i have had problems with sierra impellers, that why i only use oem parts for critical replacement.

OEM replacements as stated gives me a little more peace of mind !!! especially when I am risking frying my motor !!!!

kameika

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Kenmyfam: I am totally in agreement with you. I'm a fool for goofing with an unknown. The "Fits OMC/JOHNSON/EVINRUDE 1986-xxxx" worries me to death.

I'm afraid I have a OMC shop manual from 2.6L Seadrive. (I could NOT find a 2.7L 1987 Seadrive shop manual. I had to make do with the 2.6L, 1986.)

No water deflector on the 2.7L 1987?? (The 2.6L is a crossflow, the 2.7L is a looper?)

Suddenly, I am doubting everything I know..

(Quick edit. Now I am self-screwed. My shop manual is only partially correct)

V-4 Models
1.6-litre Crossflow, 1983-1987, and 1988-1990
1.8-litre Looper, 1985-1987
2.0-litre Looper, 1988-1990

V-6 Models
2.5-litre Crossflow, 1983-1990
2.6-litre Crossflow, 1983-1990
2.7-litre Looper, 1985-1987 <----------------- Me.
3.0-litre Looper, 1988-1990

V-8 Models
3.6-litre Looper, 1985-1987
4.0-litre Looper, 1988-1990