Oh GAD - Lower Unit removal - Pics inc.

sincraft

Seaman
Guys, please HELP. I bought a useless Seloc manual that basically in two sentences says: 1. remove oil plugs. 2. remove 3 nuts and then lower unit.<br /><br />My lower unit is VERy hard to remove. At first I pryed it gently with a flat head screw driver, then wiht a slight pull down it popped down about 1/2". I play around with it gently but was afraid to bend any of the shafts. I pulled a little harder, nothing. Then I pushed it up seeing if it would go back in,..<br />then when I let it go it dropped another 3/4" for a total of about 1+ inches dropped. There is a silver tube running up the outside of the shaft length into the engine (shift tube). I called the local marina and they said first off, seloc sucks, get a service manual or a different brand (thanks I said) - next, bring the engine down in 2 weeks when we MIGHT have a chance to look at it. He was nice however and spent about 30 minutes on his computer and looking through a service manual that SEEMED to state that I had to remove the shift tube from the top of the engine (even with the carb, starter removed...almost an impossible task as there are NO visible bolts. ONly a plastic clip that flips up on one end and a metal lock disk on the other then with a nut covering it - VERY hard to get to.<br /><br />I am HOPING first off that this initial drop did no damage? <br />Also - HOW do I get this thing off! PLEASE HELP OH GREAT ONES!<br /><br />Here's some pics of the unit dropped...hanging there, and the area where it connects behind the missing carb and starter.. :mad: <br /><br />
lu4.jpg
<br />
lu3.jpg
<br />
lu2.jpg
<br />
lu1.jpg

Laddies

Banned
Re: Oh GAD - Lower Unit removal - Pics inc.

Take the screw loose and remove the adjuster on the reverse lock, take the lock pin out of the shift shaft and the unit should come down. When buying parts and etc. remember how well that marina treated you--Bob

sincraft

Seaman

9.9 mercury 1988 Opk..<br /><br />Laddies - I will give that a shot, it seems like there are special tools required and like I said (i think) the marina mentioned that he thought it would require two hands...does this sound correct?<br /><br />What are you talking about with screw loose and remove the adjusted on the reverse lock? I dont see such things or even a screw...anywhere.<br /><br />S

Laddies

Banned

Thats the phillips screw and stop on the shift shaft in the second picture about 1/4 " above the center section casting. You do not need any special tools or skills to install a impeller in the w/pump. You do need a differant marina or at least a differant service person--Bob

sincraft

Seaman

Sorry I tried posting shortly afterwards. I went back outside and was able to pull the clip out from the side holding that shifter in place, then losened the nut on that rod and it came right out. Came back and posted but it didnt post. There is no gasket to the lower unit and upper unit? strange. Also, on gasket on the first and second plates of the impeller 'basket'. It also says to lightly lub the sprocket part of the drive shaft that enters the engine. Did that with a very light 3n1 oil and wiped off the excess. I had to fiddle with the flywheel for it to 'pop' into place, then hold the bottom of the lower unit with my leg as I pushed the LU into place. Unfortunately the shifter rod went off to the side so I had to use a pair of needle nose and push down on it to shift it 'down' to make it pop into place. <br /><br />The hard part is actually putting the little pin back in. It goes in fine, just finding where it 'snapped' onto is hard as there is nothing seemingly to attach it to. If worse comes to work Ill have to semi perm attach it but Ill spend some minutes on it befor eI do that stuff.<br /><br />That seloc manual is garbage for this. It doesnt even have the right cutaway or diagram for my waterpump or the LU at all. Lotsa discussion about micrometers etc, I hope I dont have that problem to work on ever as this manual will have me buying a new LU prolly. <br /><br />anyway...i finally figured it out. Now that I've done it I knwo what you are talking about...<br />I had no idea what a 'reverse lock or shift shaft' was or WHERE it was located :( So I fiddled. (hate doing that, always afraid to destroy something delicate)<br /><br />S

Moody Blue

Captain

Hey sincraft good to hear you got it figured out. Thats what these forums are all about. Experts and novices alike offer their suggestions, comments and recommendations to help DIY'ers like us learn about our motors and save some money at the same time.