OH Deer Hunters, I need you!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant
I am orig from OH. Loved the state, but the time came to leave. I am active duty Air Force and will be back on leave for deer gun season. I have not been back to the great state of OH in 4 yrs. It has been 18 yrs since I spent any real time there.<br />I have access to a single shot 20 GA. Or I can bring my single shot 20 GA. <br />What I really need is.....<br />Do any of you have any special hunting places that you are willing to share with me. I will bring AK salmon and/or halibut to break the ice :) <br /><br />PRETTY PLEASE WITH SUGAR AND CHERRIES ON TOP!<br /><br />AK Chappy<br /><br />P.S. If you make it up here, I will help you out with where to fish, or good hunting places also.<br />FYI, there are some AWESOME fishing and hunting oppurtunities up here!

NathanY

Commander
Re: OH Deer Hunters, I need you!

Come to Arkansas, I take you hunting. 1260 acres hardwood forest. Deer, bear, and turkeys.

hayhauler

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think a single shot 20 guage is a little iffy for deer. They make buck shot for it, but I don't think that makes it a good deer round. If I was going to use a shotgun, I'd want a 12 guage, I'd prefer a .30-.30 or .30-06. In fact if it came down to a choice, I'd rather use my .357 magnum than a 20 guage.<br /><br />Have fun and good luck.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Copy paste from Remington site.<br /><br />Premier® Core-Lokt® Ultra Bonded Sabot Slug<br /> <br />For generations, big-game hunters have relied on Remington® Core-Lokt centerfire rifle ammunition. Its legendary performance has withstood the test of time and has become the benchmark in which all rifle bullets are compared. It’s only natural that Core-Lokt bullet technology, enter over into the world of shotgun slug ammunition.<br /><br />The ultimate in shotgun sabot slugs. Ultra-high velocities deliver devastating on-game performance and the tightest groups —1.8" — of any shotgun slug with ultra-flat trajectories. Remington® patented spiral nose cuts ensure consistent 2x expansion over a wide range of terminal velocities, while the sleek, ogive nose delivers high down-range energy retention. The 385-grain bonded bullet yields near 100% weight retention. Flattest shooting slug in existence — 10% better than the nearest competition. Designed for use in fully rifled barrels only. In response to the overwhelming success of the 12-gauge load, this year we’re offering a new 20-gauge, 260-grain load for those who prefer the low recoil of a smaller gauge slug.<br /><br />PREMIER® CORE-LOKT® ULTRA BONDED SABOT SLUGS <br /> Index No. Gauge Shell Length Slug Wt. <br /> PR12CLU 12 2 3/4" 385-gr. <br />New! PR20CLU 20 2 3/4" 260-gr. <br /> <br />BALLISTICS <br />Index No. Velocity (fps) Energy (ft-lb) Drop (in.) <br /> Muz. 50 100 Muz. 50 100 50 100 150 <br />PR12CLU 1900 1770 1648 3086 2682 2325 1.8 2.4 0.0† <br />PR20CLU 1900 1750 1615 2084 1774 1506 2.0 2.7 0.0† <br /> <br /><br />† 0.0 indicates yardage at which shotgun was sighted in.<br /><br />I see 1774 ft/lbs energy at 50 yards for the 20ga. Much more better than the 357 mag at the muzzle. Your 20ga is fine for whitetails.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Hayhauler, in Ohio only shotgun and bow can be used to hunt deer. And if you do use a high power rifle, they will bust you at the tagging station.<br /><br />Yep, I would like to see rifles used, it would help on reducing the amount that we have. <br /><br />Hey Chappy, I didn't know you were from Ohio? You just may know my friend that is in Anchorage. He is retired USAF!<br /><br />As far as places to hunt, there are many. The souther part of Ohio where most of the hilly terrain is the huntin is excellent. My sister owns 23 acres in Meigs county. I could get her permission problably. Heck, I might even get my tag this year and go down to the old homestead to bag one. That is the area where my friend grew up as well.... :D

Fly Rod

Commander

:) Plenty of deer have been taken with a 20 guage and deer slugs!!! <br /><br />one of my friends is 82 years young and that is all he uses to hunt deer here in Mass. The last buck that he shot was 125yd. shot and dropped the critter in his tracks!!! And it is shotguns only in this state!!!!<br /><br />hayhauler! when it comes to the 20 guage you sound like the fella that told me that my 44carbine was good for only 75yds.<br />Well I challenged that fella and I offered him to stand at 200yds. with his draws down!!! to this day he hasn't taken up the offer,"I wonder why not!!!!" ;) :cool:

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Yep, I agree, nothing wrong with a 20ga. Its fed my belly with venison often! I don't know why, but I'm more accurate with the 20 vs the 12 with slugs. :confused:

TwoBallScrewBall

Lieutenant Commander

Hey SS, just plug him with the 30-06, then point blank him with a slug once he's down. It'll be such a mess that they'll never know you used a rifle. Might not even know it's a deer. :) :D

ehenry

Commander

A 20 gauge will slay a whitetail in a heart beat ! ! Just ask my son, he took his first whitetail (a 205 lb. 6 point) with a youth model 870 pump wtih #2 buckshot when he was 7 years old. He opts out for his 308 on a stand but still carries the 870 when he's making a drive through the woods.

aspeck

Staff member

Chappy, I used a 20 gauge for my first deer. Worked fine and did the job with one shot. It ran about 35 yards before dropping. (I did take a second shot though I was so excited it went straight up in the air.)<br /><br />Can't help you with places to hunt in Ohio, but if you are coming to PA, let me know - salmon sounds good!

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Thanks for all the responses. <br />I know the 20 guage is more than adequate for whitetail deer.<br /><br />I don't have the time to go scouting for places to hunt and am willing to trade fish for information and/or access to hunting grounds.<br /><br />SS <br />That would be awesome. I just may know your friend up here. If I don't, I can easily look them up. We are just a big small town up here.<br />send me an e-mail <br />kcchappy AT gci.net<br /><br />Nate and aspeck,<br />I wish it was that simple.<br />In OH, I am not required to buy a license as I will be "active duty on annual leave or furlough". Don't know about PA and their rules. Arkansas, unfortunately is a little far away.<br />Again, thanks for the offers.<br /><br />AK Chappy

aspeck

Staff member

Chappy, PA only does special things for the military that are PA residents. Active duty PA military are guarranteed most of the licenses, but they still have to pay.

AK_Chappy

Lieutenant

Oh well,<br />I only have a limited time to hunt and will have limited means of travel as well. <br />Thanks again for all the answers and help.<br /><br />AK Chappy

jimr

Senior Chief Petty Officer

my dad used to hunt with a 20 gauge for years and killed every deer he shot at. he upgraded to a 12 gauge one year and missed one. came home swapped back to his 20 and went back out.came home with a huge 10 point. there was a guy down the road from us that used a 16 gauge single shot with just a front sight that was deadly with it also.