Off season maintenance on OMC 800 outdrive

proline2

Seaman Apprentice
I'm thinking about taking some time to tinker with my l984 OMC 800 outdrive. It works very well, but it leaks somewhere in the lower gearcase and possibly farther up the drivetrain than that. It also has a little more slop in the steering than I like, so I'd like to do something about that too. The question I have is this; do I have to remove the outdrive to effectively work on the seals, and is there a particular place to focus my attention to finding the leaks? I've rebuilt the engine a couple years ago so I know how much of a pain it is to remove the outdrive, mostly because of the stubborn shift cable which never wants to come out of the intermediate housing. I intend to replace the water pump at the same time as any other work I do, so if I have to take everything apart so be it. I'd like any input on leak repairs that I can get. <br />Also, where is the best place to get OMC seals etc?<br />Thanks

The Marine Doctor

Commander
Re: Off season maintenance on OMC 800 outdrive

To repair the upper housing seals, you can just undo the 9/16 bolts that are holding it in place and then swing the drive to the side with a hoist.<br /><br />This will allow access to the Ball Gear seals.<br /><br />Bolt it back on.<br /><br />Undo the 5 3/8 bolts swing the drive away from the upper housing, you now have access to the water pump housing.<br /><br />If you wish to do any work to the drive shaft seals or the shifter cap, you will have to remove the complete drive.<br /><br />TMD