oddjobs troll : Media onKatrina

oddjob

Commander
Well, Pre and post Katrina we heard alot of reports of mass murders,rapes,violence,Sharks swiming around NO, snipers shooting at rescurers....I'm still waiting for the media to follow up these tragedies......Today I'm hearing alot of reports contrary but I dont hear Opra and the media correcting the rumors they perpetuated and continued/continue to spin.<br /><br />I wonder if the histeria they created slowed the efforts of the rescuers and the recovery. :confused:

Vlad D Impeller

Commander
Re: oddjobs troll : Media onKatrina

It is the up to the police and the justice dept to investigate, arrest and prosecute those responsible for committing crimes.<br />The news media's job is simply to report the news without bias.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

oddjob, I too believe 90% of these stories were total BS.<br /><br />Just the stupid media trying to sensationalize anything they can, regardless of how it effects peoples lives.<br /><br />See my thread about the media.<br /><br />Ken

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

oj,<br />Had the same thought on my way to lunch today. Would really like some follow up. I like to think most of the horrific news of that time was just reported hear say, still I’d like to know whatever happened.

ufm82

Master Chief Petty Officer

There is no responsibilty anymore for anything and it is reflected in the media. They are fast to report anything they hear, yet rarely correct the claims or follow up afterwards. Partly it is due to our incredibly short attention span in the country and partly it is due to the attitude of the media. Getting the scoop and getting the ratings are the #1 thing as opposed to doing a solid job of reporting the facts. News shows are expected to get ratings for their stations- period. Better ratings get higher ad revenues and that is where it all come to a head. Money. <br /><br /> I also heard the exaggerated claims during the initial phase of th disaster. 50,000 dead? Then 10,000? Now a little over 1,000 and that is ALL the victims, not just New Orleans. Where were those initial numbers coming from? Just wild guesses and facts didn't matter. It sounded good. <br /><br /> I'm sure that newsmen like Walter Cronkite don't like the direction the "news" shows have taken. They are entertainment more than news in my opinion. Local news stations seem to do OK but the nationals, CNN, ABC, CBS, etc have drifted from the track of true news people. They are supposed to REPORT, not embellish, comment or take any literary license. <br /><br /> I doubt we'll hear of any repercussions about the initial problems either. It won't interest anyone but the locals and the news won't waste time with it. Wanna bet $5 we never hear of anyone being convicted of killing anyone at the SuperDome? Sad, isn't it?<br /><br />UFM82

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

What are you talking about? What corrections? don't you know we have the best media in the world? What makes you think they make mistakes? You conservatives are all alike...

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

:D LMAO at JT. :D

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is so true about the media. They have to whip everything in a frenzy to keep the entertainment factor high...<br /><br />Why here is the latest headline from CNN:<br /><br />Brown: You want me to be a hero<br /><br />Former FEMA chief Michael Brown today blamed Louisiana's leaders for dragging their heels last month as Hurricane Katrina approached the Gulf Coast. Brown told a congressional panel he couldn't make state or local officials do anything. "I guess you want me to be the superhero that is going to step in there and suddenly take everybody out of New Orleans."<br /><br />As the finger pointing continues...

alden135

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by Vlad D Impeller:<br /><br />The news media's job is simply to report the news without bias.
And a fine job they are doing! :D

Skinnywater

Commander

Pretty good numbers here on DC lined up at the BS trough and took in all the media had to give.<br /><br />And there surely wasn't any shortage of judges, jurys and executioners here because of it.

ZodFutMk2

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well slap me hard and call me Bubba.<br /><br />Aaron Brown / Dean Anderson on CNN, this evening brought up the questions we're all asking...<br /><br />Apparently the local NOLA newspaper Picayune Times (or Tribune) asked about the tales of terror from the Superdome and convention center and had a very well written article.<br /><br />CNN picked it up, brought in actual eyewitnesses and started asking questions...then reviewed their own video tapes.<br /><br />Here's da good part...the nastiest rumors came from the Chief of Police and Nagin hisself... Police Chief is sitting in the second seat of a suburban talking with Oprah Winfrey...he breaks into tears telling her that babies are being raped at the Superdome...later Nagin tells Oprah that there are hooligans killing people and babies dying.<br /><br />Superdome deaths = 6 (4 from natural causes, 1 from drug OD and 1 suicide)<br /><br />Convention Center deaths = 4<br /><br />Reported: 1 attempted rape of young girl at Superdome<br /><br />Anderson quickly stated that there could have been more rapes, but with people now scattered across the country and the lack of civil authorities, the possible rapes may not have been reported.<br /><br />CNN producer admits seeing only one dead body at Superdome and that was outside at the front doors and the person apparently expired on their way to the dome. Same gentleman says that NOLA police were his source regarding marauding gangs that were supposedly following the noises from generators and then doing horrendous home invasions.<br /><br />They spoke with a retired officer from the NOLA PD regarding the "hero" stepping down, he commented that the Chief was not the type of man to step down and leave his troops, not at a time like this. CNN claims that they spoke to someone from City Hall and apparently Nagin called the Chief on Monday and told him to retire or be fired.<br /><br />Doesn't sound like the new Chief is an exemplary fellow.<br /><br />CNN did provide eyewitnesses from the Superdome. The ladies admitted that there were young men wandering the facility in "packs" and they were carrying guns and the tension was so great that they felt like anything could happen at any time.<br /><br />Aaron Brown commented that perhaps the rumors were spread to shock everyone to make them expedite their reponse.<br /><br />They should be applauded for admitting that they were part of the problem and attempting to rectify the situation...even though it's way too little way too damn late and they thought FEMA was bad.<br /><br />They also reported that the Governor would not refute FEMA Brown's statements, that she wasn't interested in carrying on an arguement, she was more interested in what was going to be done to create jobs and restore the state.

Skinnywater

Commander

There are many lessons here. <br />The first source of dis-information is usually from a politician. No surprise here, but in this case it was the most immediate response.<br /><br />Based on how long it takes for the simple truth to come out, there's a huge vacuum instead of those that report the honest news.<br /><br />It seems to this country boy that some high rollin' fat cat would make a killin' by putting together a real honest investigative news team. All with the sound policy of reporting just the 100% verifiable news. Without spin, slant, political or social agenda. <br /><br />I'm afraid that the media and the social(ists) engineers ultimately will again have their way.<br />Borne out of fear, confusion and dis-information will be greater Federal involvement in our lives, a new or substantially larger bureaucracy to spoon feed billions of tax money.