Odd stalling symptom

billaranguren@yahoo.com

Seaman Apprentice
1999 - 200 HP Johnson.<br />Starts up fine the other day (just under 40 degree air temp 57 degree water temp). Pulled out from ramp, slow acceleration through no wake zone. Got to ocean and ran at just over 4,000 RPM looking for birds/fish. Started and stopped a few times and then:<br /><br />Started it up, gradually applied throttle and it bogs and dies. Repeated attemps all the same. If I am quick and slam it into gear and right to full throttle is takes off throwing everyone on the floor. Runs fine at WOT of just over 5,000. Slow down and it contines to run fine at the speed it died earlier. Let the boat rock around a bit while we jig up some fish. Restart and try slow acceleration, and it repeats the problem, not being able to slowly accelerate. Full throttle take off works again. <br /><br />Once I am running, it seems fine. I have since looked at the timeing mechanism. It didn't seem to be binding. Hit it with WD anyway, but have not been back on the water. I don't believe it is carbs, not all six of them hiccuping at the same time. Fuel pumps must be OK if I can run WOT for an extended time.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner
Re: Odd stalling symptom

If you're not pumping the fuel primer bulb up hard every time you attempt to start the engine (which of course you shouldn't have to do), there is a possibility that fuel is siphoning backwards from the engine into the tank. This would result in the air existing in the fuel system lines.<br /><br />If you have a bult in tank, there should be an fuel Anti Siphon Valve located right where the fuel hose attaches to it. If it has been removed due to sticking, install a new one.