Obsessed

dolluper

Captain
Ever since I was a youngin I have been obsessed with finding out how things work.I would take apart engines,tv's,small appiances just to see if I could fix them.I did this without having manuals and I was able to fix many things.Were things just easier before or are they easier now.My opinion is they are easier now simply because it has become cheaper for things and it's a throw away society.Even car diagnoses is easier with the computer storing faults. I still fix anything that is possible to fix because I'm obsessed still.A real cheapskate I guess too :D What do you guy's {gals] think is it easier or are you obsessed TOO!!!

theriver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Obsessed

I don't know about being obsessed with fixing stuff, I mean I do fix what I can, but what I am obsessed with it seems is not throwing away broken sh!t which I think may have some future use. My workshop and garage is full of probable useless crap. I'm sure I'm not alone.

CalicoKid

Lieutenant Commander

Man you said it river, what a burden all that stuff becomes. Hard to do but pitch it, lighten the load.<br /><br />I can remember taking my bigwheel apart right after my parents put it together for me. I had it put back together that afternoon with my sisters front wheel. CHOPPER! I haven't changed since then.

all thumbs

Chief Petty Officer

I always try to fix things first. It might be easier too cause you have sharpened up you skills through the years.

deputydawg

Lieutenant Commander

That is why my mother in law calls me jack of all trades, master of none. <br /><br />In my family I am the one everyone calls to fix stuff. I will eventually admit when I am in over my head, but only after I take something apart.<br /><br />So far I can fix appliances (a skill learned from my uncle who is an appliance repair man) washers, dryers, dishwashers, fridges, stoves, whatever. I can build a house and have done it before. That just comes natural, the other side of the family all my uncles and great uncles are carpenters. I am a mechanic by trade, or at least have the education to say I am. When building my addition on my house, my neighbor who is an electrician asked who was doing my electrical. I guess I never even thought about it, I will do it myself. Very simple. Same with plumbing and finish work. <br /><br />I can not throw anything away. I just might have a use for it! I am somewhat of an inventor when I have time to kill. That is part of the fun of dumpster diving! Get good stuff that can be fixed or used for other creations.

one more cast

Captain

I've set 30' elect poles with a pickup truck, dug wells with a shovel,moved buildings,cut trees and took them to the saw mill for lumber, pulled motors using tree limbs, done all my own elect.,plumbing,mechanical,carpentry,roofing,excavating,and so on. I very rarely hired anybody to do anything for me until my health failed. It now shocks me at how much it costs to have things fixed,built,dug,shoveled...The worst thing is paying people to do a job for you that you could do better.I too have trouble throwing things out.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

Been a fixer long as any one can remember. Kinda the go to person if'n ya got a problem. Still tend to do most stuff myself, time permitting. As for easier before or now, I'd say before, it's tough to fix some thing like a computer chip, or rebuild some thing that was not designed to be disassembled. Just my 2 cents........and yah I have a garage and shop full of things I'll get around to fix'n.................... some day.

dolluper

Captain

Yeah some of those fancy fastners they make now can be a challange,but it keeps me busy,last was an indoor bbq that quit,had to drill these foreign type screws out and replace the resistor 2 bones and hour of work,it's got real screws in it now and works perfect

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

funny, I seem to have a knack for putting things back together that I didn't discover in time to make it a career, but I've fixed all manner of appliances, engines, electical gadgets, computers, fishing reels...<br /><br />Just wish I could flatten out my learning curve; with lotsa things, it takes so long to figure out the first time. Example, took me hours to replace a garbage disposal, I could do the next one in minutes, but I don't expect to ever need to do it again.<br /><br />I also tend to hang on to things, bits & pieces & parts...not because they're valuable per se, but if you need one here & now, don't matter how cheap it is to buy, don't do me much good sittin on a shelf at a hardware store. ;)