O-Ring Re-use and/or part numbers

adamkat22

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hey all. I'm slowly putting a Volvo Penta 280 back together and trying to figure out what rubber gaskets should be replaced...and where to source replacements. Here's a list of the things in question:

-Rubber Rings: Is the rubber ring that sits behind the sealing clamp the same as the one that sits on the PDS? I have (2) of the sealing clamp ones that appear to be in good condition. Can I put one on the PDS and one on the clamp and call it a day...or is that a bad idea? If it's a bad idea, anyone know the proper name and/or part number so I can google replacements?

-O-Rings: Looking for a part number/proper name of the O-Rings on the Exhaust Y Pipe. Seem like there should be (1) big one, and then (4) small ones for each bolt? Is that correct?

-Through Bolts: My replacement transom shield came with some rubber o-ring type things on the through bolt. They are in rough condition. Anyone know what those are called? I don't think they were on the transom shield that I tore off. Are they supposed to be installed between the shield and the transom? Or on the engine compartment side of things?

Also, for the lower through bolts, which will be below the water line, what's the best sealing technique?

Anything else I might be missing?

Thanks so much!!

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Can't help you with specific part names or installation techniques but if you're having trouble sourcing parts/info online it's in your best interest to contact a local volvo repair shop/dealer.

By dealer I dont mean a boat dealership, find a repair shop that is volvo certified, preferably with its own parts department. They ought to find everything you need.

Be sure to bring every serial/model number you can find on your package. It is needed for the correct parts.

Use perfect seal/quality gasket sealer for any fastener at or below the water line

kenny nunez

Captain
I do remember those “O” rings and they sealed the hole where the bolts came through the transom. If you cannot find replacements just reuse them with some 3M 5200 or a similar compound. Also I used to just flip the large rubber rings that insulate and seal the PDS housing and never had a leak. Volvo’s were designed to be serviced in remote parts of the planet where replacement parts were hard to come by. AQs are still the best drive ever made.