O/B vs. I/O

BillT111

Cadet
Hi Everyone,<br />I need some help. have been a boater for years and have always owned O/B's.<br />Am looking to buy a new or newer deckboat soon, and am contemplating going with an I/O.<br />We use our boat about 40+ weekends a year here in Oklahoma. We still get freezing weather and I'd have to winterize the boat. Will I get better performance or better gas (mileage)GPH with an I/O?..I presently have an evinrude 115 hp(vro) that seems to like to guzzle gas even at 3000-3500 rpm. I know that I/O require some different maintenance steps as well...So whats my best choice. Am looking at a 20-22' deck,,maybe aluminum hull, used mostly for fishing but we still ski and tube the kids often.<br /><br />I appreciate you input, criticizms and opinions.<br />Bill In Oklahoma

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: O/B vs. I/O

yikes!!<br /><br />Thats like asking whats better 2 or 4 stroke or mineral or synth oil... its a matter of preference..<br /><br />if you get a modern outboard, a DFI 2 stoke, or a 4 stroke, you'll get great economy...<br /><br />they are lighter then the inboard and easier to winterize...<br /><br />Inboards are heavier, harder to get at, and take more room up in your boat.. and they have more steps for winterizing..<br /><br />but its still either or really.<br /><br />depends what you prefer really.. go and test boats with both and see what takes your fancy.<br /><br />regards<br /><br />Frank